Posted September 13, 2011 by publisher in Cuba Travel.
Rob Sequin | Havana Journal
Petition to President Obama to direct OFAC to approve Havana Ferry Partners’ Carrier Service Provider license in order to offer ferry service to Cuba.
We received this petition asking OFAC to support Havana Ferry Partners, LLC creation of “at least 564 jobs in Florida by directing OFAC to approve their application CU-80304”.
Taken from the petition… Havana Ferry Partners, LLC is seeking authorization as a Travel Service Provider, 31 CFR 515.572(a)(1) and as a Carrier Service Provider, 31 CFR 515.572(a)(2) of the Cuban Assets Control Regulations (CACRs).
Havana Ferry wishes to primarily provide transportation via sea-going vessels to Cuban-Americans to visit close relatives in Cuba. Havana Ferry would also offer transportation to other persons authorized to travel to Cuba under various categories of OFAC licenses. Please note that 31 CFR 515.572 specifically authorizes persons chartering an aircraft or vessel (515572 (a) (1) emphasis added), and carrier services by aircraft or vessels incidental to their non-scheduled flights or voyages to, from, or within Cuba (515572 (a) (2) emphasis added).
Havana Ferry fully supports President Obama’s goals of our increased understanding with the Cuban people through people to people contacts, and wishes to be able to provide lower cost transportation, thereby opening travel to Cuba to more people wishing to go. The airlines could be made safer by not having to carry load limit cargo of returning passengers. Under current regulations Havana Ferry could legally do so and is seeking U.S. State Department approval for their application.
Why Should Havana Ferry Partners’ Application Be Approved
The application is clearly within President Barack Obama’s New Cuba Travel Regulations.
When fully operational, the company is projected to create over 500+ jobs for South Florida.
As a Carrier Service Provider Havana Ferry will provide purposeful economical travel to the island for Cuban-American families and other authorized travelers to Cuba as outlined by current travel regulations.
Their passenger ferry can be used to carry the U.S.P.S. mail to Cuba, eliminating the HSA Air Safety issues with Cuba.
Havana Ferry will offer its passengers a larger free baggage allowance.
The Roll-On/Roll-Off feature of their ship will allow them to bring larger humanitarian items. (Donated Emergency and Fire Rescue vehicles, Medical examination trailers.)
Economic Sea travel would allow sports teams and large musical groups to travel together with their equipment for less money.
Havana Ferry will work closely with Humanitarian Aid groups such as Hope for Cuba and Caritas Cubana to offer discounted shipping rates for All Humanitarian Aid and in Emergencies to provide free shipping of Humanitarian Aid to Cuba.
Havana Ferry Partners’ application clearly fits into current guidelines for the issuance of TSP and CSP licensing.
They are asking President Obama to direct OFAC to approve their application CU-80304.
The signers of this petition are saying with one voice that they “believe that the prohibitive cost of Air Travel limits the access of many Cuban- Americans to their families in Cuba” and suggest that this action could be President Obama’s “greatest legacy, opening the door to Cuba so the free flow of American Ideals to the Cuban People”.
As you can see, I am the 106th person to sign this petition with attached comment:
106. Rob Sequin create jobs and promote democracy is a win win!
105. Rita M. Yebra I agree with this option!!!
104. Lilibeth Hernandez
103. debbie fradera
102. Jorge Gaviria
101. Nam Ng
100. Yolanda Lopez Pena A great idea who’s time has come.
99. William James Please end the embargo!
98. Marta Sotolongo
97. Beatriz Gaviria Lopez
96. David Hernandez-Rivero
95. LUIS R VAZQUEZ I would like to return to my homeland by sea I think it would be a wonderful experience for me and my grandchildren.
94. Barry J.Boudreaux Is’nt it about time to change the US /Cuba travel policy? I think it is! I support this petition!
93. Mark Rutledge
92. Sue Greene
91. cedric henry lets get it done
90. barbara s. zuviceh I’m looking forward to the resolution of this quality enterprise.
89. Lindy Brown
88. Jill Lubeck We are in a new global era and lessening the restrictions of travel between Cuba and the USA is timely.
87. Alberto N Jones Give senior citizens fearful of flying, a last opportunity to see their country of birth and loved ones. Build Bridges Not Walls.
86. Miles Jackson
85. Paris Conway
84. Paddy R. Feeney It has been too long since we have been able to travel to Cuba.
83. Janet Richards
82. Nancy Lozano
81. Richard Ferris Carpenter I think this is a great venture!
80. Noel Salazar
79. melanie davids
78. oscar c. donahue, III please
77. Ray Morejon
76. Hector Marrero Rodriguez
75. Karen Hoffman It’s about time this entire travel limitation comes to an end. Not only should relatives and special groups be allowed to travel back and forth, each of us, American or Cuban, should have the same freedom. This has gone on too long.
74. Susan Hoffman better relation with cuba and 4 more years with Obama
73. Saul Lopez
72. Kimberly Matos
71. Mr.Jorge I. Fernandez, Founder, Hope for Cuba Foundation Dear Mr. President…...Please support this magnificent project and approve the requested license so that more and more Americans can travel to Cuba under your recent OFAC travel guidelines encouraging more and more University , Religious and Humanitarian groups to travel to Cuba. The Havana Ferry would allow these larger goups to travel in a much more economical and comfortable way that is not available now with the airlines. Please do the right thing here and approve the requested License request from the Havana Ferry Partners group immediately. The American people will thank you and the innocent people of Cuba will thank you, and I, as a Cuban-American born in Havana will thank you. Mr. J.I.fernandez. former Executive Director and Co-Founder, Americans for Humanitarian Trade with Cuba
70. Santiago A. Cabrera
69. James Cabrera
68. Yamilet Hernandez
67. ANTONIO F PENA
66. Dominik Moecklin
65. Diane Ireland
64. Samantha Levens
63. Arlena Bora
62. gerald fretz My Russian friends told me that the reason the Soviet Union fell is because the Russians who were allowed free travel to the West got to see what the average American had (a nice car, a large refrigerator, a washing machine, a big TV) and this was talked about a lot and ultimately led to regular Russians demanding to join the West. I believe we must open up Cuba because the embargo policy of the past 50 years is clearly NOT WORKING. Let’s try something different and end this embargo because the mass of Cubans will demand it IF they realize what they are missing….
61. Pablo Tacon
60. Diana Mosolf
59. CARLOS ANGEL BELLO
58. Charles Mosolf I would love to go to Cuba and help promote Democracy!
57. Carlos Padron Please Mr.President Obama lift the embargo !!!
56. Elizabeth Vilches
55. Dane C Fleming
54. Cindy Ross
53. Susan Sturm
52. Karen Cook
51. karen adams
50. Steve Carbone
49. Ignacio Abella
48. Byron Barksdale Authorized USA travelers to Cuba need a cost-efficient and thrifty way to go and help in Cuba..the airlines have been gouging travelers for decades. Havana Ferry will put pressure on the airline charters to lower prices since there is virtually no competition now for non-airline travel.
47. Martin Salzedo
46. Leonard D Moecklin Jr.
45. walt lent
44. Frank Martinez i would like to see that before next summer
43. Maria Berumen This will be another way to see family.
42. phillip richards its time
41. peter fenasci
40. Barbara S Zuviceh This plan seems to meet the needs of Cuban-American families as well as the opportunities outlined in this proposal.
39. Michael Zargarov Cuba has had enough Blockade…Its time to make things easier for normal Cubans.
38. Sara Kelly
37. Cuba -Junky
36. Roy Guste Give the beauty of Havana back to America
35. duncan cullman barage of info arriving to Cuba will FREE its people
34. John Sweet normalizing relation with the cuban people is important approve this app
32. Alison Trafton Long over do
31. Eduardo Vega
30. frank garcia
29. Leonard Moecklin Sr. President Obama should direct OFAC to approve Havana Ferry’s application CU-80304
28. PATRICK CUMMINS MIAMI TO HAVANA WOULD BE FANTASTIC!!!
27. havana discovery tours .com
26. Jennifer Vann
25. Jack Miller This is a win-win for Cuban and American people, there is no common sense downside
24. Rene Lecour
23. david behr
22. romy aranguiz
21. Max andreu good luck to us!
20. Greg Whitt I’ve just come back from a Cuba study trip. I strongly urge the administration to remove the embargo and obstacles prohibiting travel and trade with the wonderful people of Cuba.
19. Jo-Ann Crell I am Cuban American and have traveled legally to visit my family and husband in Cuba but have been severely restricted and it has hurt us.. My husband is now an immigrant to the US pending citizenship, his first desire is to be able to vote for you in this coming election, it is a huge hope and one that is possible. Our very important needs are to be able to visit our families in Cuba and we want there to be options available for all Americans. We know that it will help the US state by state to trade with Cuba and for citizens to be able to travel, thus expanding both our knowledge and our US economy. We know the operator of the Havana ferry and believe that he has had the best plan for the success of this service and for the country. Please do whatever you can to be the leader who has made the most difference to Americans. This is one of those decisions that can bring the change & hope. You are making history and we support you as we know you will support us all. Thank you, Gracias mi presidente.
18. Andres ruiz
17. Alina M. Lopez Marin Open up the floodgates.
16. Abel Robaina Please Mr. President lift the embargo!
15. alexis martin
14. Marcelyn Puig
13. glenn devillier
12. Mark Zehring
11. roy maggio
10. Boris King Havana Ferry is a great image maker for USA. It is a great deed for humanity.
9. Gail Reed Lobo
8. Alejandro A excellent idea.
7. Roberto Garcia http://www.facebook.com/havana.espanol
6. Harol Dale Moecklin Pappi buena suerte, voy a estar esperando el ferry en La Habana. Besos Harolito
5. Warren Pope
4. Lis Hansen Mr Obama…please do direct OFAC to approve this application from Havana Ferry. It will be good for both the USA and for Cuba!
3. Antonio C Martinez II
2. Al Prieto Sr.
Havana Ferry Partners
Taken from Havana Ferry Partners website, the Fort Lauderdale based company was formed in October of 2009 by “long time professionals in the transportation and travel industry”.
The site suggests that this new Havana ferry service will:
Provide an economical way for Cuban Americans to visit friends and families in Cuba.
Increase passenger spending in Cuba.
Assist Havana with reaching new markets through our contacts in the travel and tourism industry.
Provide advertising for businesses in Cuba through our website and public relations efforts.
Offer a new experience for many who have never had the privilege of touring Cuba.
In the future, Havana Ferry Partners can offer cargo capacities, to include mail and agricultural products into Cuba.
On September 14, 2011, El Capitan wrote:
Ileana and the Balarts will torpedo the ferry idea before it ever leaves the dock.