By Green Left Weekly | [url=http://www.greenleft.org.au]http://www.greenleft.org.au[/url]
Petition now has 3797 signatures
As reported in Green Left Weekly #536, on May 1, 160 intellectuals and artists — including Nobel Prize winners Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Rigoberta Menchu, Aldolfo Perez Esquivel and Nadine Gordimer — launched an international declaration, “To the conscience of the world”, in defence of Cuba.
Australian Socialist Alliance resolution
The second national conference of the Socialist Alliance, held in Melbourne on May 10-11, enthusiastically adopted the following resolution condemning the US threats against Cuba:
In the face of rising threats from the US government against Cuba, the Socialist Alliance second national conference:
1. Supports the solidarity call with Cuba made in a recent statement by Nobel Laureates and other prominent intellectuals for `policy makers to uphold the universal principles of national sovereignty, respect of territorial integrity and self-determination, essential to just and peaceful co-existence among nations’;
2. Calls upon the USA to recognise the complete integrity of Cuba, a Cuba that includes Guantanamo Bay, and hereby calls upon the USA to close their base there;
3. Calls upon the US to cease all operations towards Cuba that encourage and fund the overthrow of the Cuban government;
4. Demands that the US immediately lift its economic and tourism blockade of Cuba;
5. Calls on the left and progressive movement in Australia to show its opposition to the renewed attacks by the US towards Cuba and support solidarity actions that oppose US imperialism’s attacks on Cuba.”
Booklet on Cuban foreign minister’s press conference
A 69-page booklet containing the transcript of the April 9 press conference by Cuban foreign minister Felipe Perez Roque is available. Roque explains the background to the penalties imposed on 75 paid agents of the US government.