Havana Cuba Business Travel Culture and Politics

Havana Cuba News

Cuba Politics News

Posted January 24, 2006 by mattlawrence in Cuba Human Rights

Email this article | Print this article | Search Havana Journal        

 


Posted on Tue, Jan. 24, 2006

BY JAY WEAVER
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Two Miami men will be sentenced today in federal court after pleading guilty to smuggling 29 Cubans in a speedboat that overturned and claimed the life of a young boy who got trapped beneath the capsized vessel.

In November, Alexander Gil Rodriguez and Luis Manuel Taboada-Cabrera cut quick plea deals with federal prosecutors, who didn’t have enough evidence to charge them with the Oct. 13 death of 6-year-old Julian Villasuso.

The men, Cuban immigrants themselves, could face up to six years in prison at their sentencing hearing before U.S. District Judge K. Michael Moore. The boy’s death could be a factor in the sentencing of Rodriguez, 25, and Taboada-Cabrera, 28.

At sentencing, attorney Steven Amster said his clients plan to express their remorse for the boy’s death, which they viewed as a tragic accident.

Interim U.S. Attorney R. Alexander Acosta condemned the crime and similar illicit smuggling operations.

Smuggling operations have contributed to the sharp rise in Cuban migrations across the Florida Straits, U.S. authorities said. The number of Cubans intercepted at sea doubled last year over 2004.

The smuggling-conspiracy prosecution stems from an incident that occurred during the early morning of Oct. 13, when Coast Guard officials tracked down a Florida-registered speedboat, carrying the 29 Cuban migrants, about 52 miles south of Key West. After fleeing the Coast Guard, the boat flipped over in the Florida Straits.

Authorities discovered the boy beneath the 33-foot boat after rescuers pulled to safety the other passengers, including the boy’s parents and the smugglers. Julian’s parents were allowed into the United States.



————————————————————————————————————————

2006 MiamiHerald.com and wire service sources. All Rights Reserved.
http://www.miami.com

  1. Follow up post #1 added on January 27, 2006 by ROLO

    In the end they got 6 year plus 39 months,because the Judge
    take very into account the death of the innocent and sacrificed
    cuban boy,i feel indignant,it clear to me that the smugglers
    these and those deserve is life in prison or death penalty,
    no lesser than that.


Would you like to add more information?


Only members can add more information. Please register or log in

  • Advertise at Havana Journal Inc
Images of Cuba
Hemingway house bathroom
Follow Havana Journal
SUBSCRIBE to our Cuba Watch newsletter
LIKE us on Facebook

FOLLOW us on Twitter

CONNECT with us on Linked In

Section Archive
Havana Journal, Inc. BBB Business Review



Member of the Association for the Study of the Cuban Economy