Click on the image to see a slide show of the video

CLICK HERE TO READ THE CNN STORY

CLICK HERE TO WATCH THE CNN NEWS VIDEO

CLICK HERE TO WATCH THE VIDEO AS IT APPEARED ON CUBAN TELEVISION


By Anthony Boadle | Reuters

Cuban leader Fidel Castro gave his first television interview in more than three months on Friday, state television said, easing speculation that the ailing revolutionary had died or suffered a relapse.

Castro, 81, speaking slowly, appeared little changed from the last time he gave an interview to Cuban state television in early June.

Television presenter Randy Alonso said the nearly hour-long taped interview, which aired on Friday evening, took place earlier in the day.

Castro, who took power in a 1959 revolution, handed over control to his brother Raul Castro on July 31, 2006 after he underwent emergency intestinal surgery, and he has not appeared in public since then.

He has been seen in occasional photographs and videos with visiting foreign leaders and has produced a steady of columns and essays printed by state media over the past six months.

But his failure to appear on his birthday on August 13 fueled already rampant rumors in Miami—the heartland of exiled opposition to his near five-decade-long rule—that he had had a major health setback, was on his deathbed or had already died.

END

And the BBC says Castro looks healthy in new video. Healthy? I wouldn’t go so far as to say healthy.