I am reading many odd quotes from Carlos Lage, a Vice President in Cuba and pretty much in charge of running the Cuban economy.
Here’s my little theory on the current power structure in Cuba and why:
Carlos Lage is pretty much the only senior official out there making any comments about Fidel while in Bolivia. Alarcon made a quick comment several nights ago but then nothing more. He is liked and respected by the Cuban people and would loose a lot of respect if he lied to them about Castro’s health. Raul has said NOTHING. Felipe Perez Roque has said nothing. No statements from Fidel either.
Here are some of the odd comments Lage is quoted as saying:
1. “In a few weeks, he’ll be recovered and he’ll return to his duties,” Vice President Carlos Lage said Sunday, shooting down reports that Castro, who turns 80 on Aug. 13, had stomach cancer.
2. “The operation that he underwent was successful and he is recovering favorably,” Lage said. “Fidel’s going to be around for another 80 years.”
3. “We have been in constant contact and the news is that everything is going fine”, Vice President Carlos Lage said on Sunday when asked by reporters.”
So, that’s several major comments right there; Castro will return, no stomach cancer, operation went well, recovering fine and the weirdest one that Castro will be around for another 80 years which would bring him to be 160 years old. Also, the comment that “we have been in constant contact” means that he and Fidel Castro are speaking by phone? (these comments were made from Bolivia). Are we supposed to believe that Fidel is talking to Lage by phone many times over international phone lines about his health? I don’t think so.
Here’s what I hear; Lage makes these upbeat comments from outside of Cuba so they are not seen as official statements yet they are positive so there is no real news or cause for concern. So, are they official comments are truly honest comments from Lage?
If Lage makes these comments AND they are found to be untrue in the future because Castro dies, he will loose the respect of the Cuban people.
So, why would Lage be pretty much the only person to make comments about Fidel. I think that Raul said, I am in power now and Fidel won’t be back to work. I have my own plans for the Cuban economy and you will be asked to resign anyway once I get the new economic reforms started. So Lage, like a good revolutionary, falls on his sword for the cause and will take the fall for Cuba.
My little conspiracy theory only works if
1. Fidel DOES NOT return to office
2. Lage resigns in the near future
Time will tell if I am right.
Is Carlos Lage telling the truth about Fidel’s condition or is he lying for the good of “La Revolucion”?