Based on email received from author
Available in books stores and online this month!
After 12 years, the NEW BOOK is at the publisher – it’s called Betrayal: Clinton, Castro & The Cuban Five. (Non-fiction; political murder and international intrigue; ISBN to be registered)
Betrayal was co-authored with three time Pentagon and former White House appointee, Thomas Van Hare. Thomas is also the former Director of Operations with Brothers to the Rescue and Chairman of Freedom Flight International, the same group for which I served as Director of Special Projects for during the early 1990’s when we flew rescue missions looking for Cuban rafters.
Our book reveals the truth behind the shootdown and attempted cover up of two Brothers to the Rescue aircraft in 1996. Betrayal is timely; in highlighting that Cuban spies were involved. Since their convictions, The Cuban 5 have been fighting for their freedom for over 10 years, and denied retrials twice by the appellant courts. These very agents - one sentenced to two life terms for murder - have been recently granted the opportunity to petition the Supreme Court, by January 30th 2009.
Just how important are these spies to Cuba? On December 18th, 2008, Raul Castro suggested during a meeting in Brazil that perhaps the new Obama administration would be willing to negotiate their release and repatriation in exchange for Cuban political prisoners as a “gesture of good faith” towards normalizing relations with Cuba.
This overture was no doubt made in anticipation of Governor Bill Richardson’s confirmation as Secretary of Commerce. Critically, our book bears evidence that he may have known of the coming attack on the Brothers to the Rescue aircraft up to 14 days before it happened… and he did nothing to prevent it!
The book details:
1) How Cuban spies infiltrated the Brothers organization, what roles they played as double agents working with the FBI, and how they communicated information to the Cuban government to set up the fatal flight.
2) The part played by Ana Belen Montes, DIA’s senior most analyst in charge of all U.S. intelligence about Cuba - who was arrested in 2001 for her 16 years as a spy for the Cuban government, called Cuba’s “Queen of Spies”.
3) The Federal trial evidence and final reports from ICAO and the OAS which found Cuba guilty of murdering four U.S. pilots.
4) Naming names of those in the Clinton Administration who knew in advance of the shootdown and did nothing to stop it - Sandy Berger, Governor Bill Richardson, Richard Nuccio, Anthony Lake and a host of retired military and diplomatic corps personnel.
5) Governor Bill Richardson’s role in personally meeting with Fidel Castro during the weeks before the shootdown and him returning with political prisoners ten days prior to the shootdown, with consideration from Fidel.
6) We expose the Cuban government’s preparations for the shootdown including MiGs making monitored practice runs over Cuba - all under the watchful eye of the U.S. Government.
7) We detail a timeline and provide a translation of the transcripts of the pilots’ conversations during the shootdown - including the words of the MiG pilots as they murdered the four men and the transcript of the intercom on board one of the Brothers to the Rescue airplanes.
8) We reveal that the U.S. Military watched the shootdown live and yet never gave the order to scramble U.S. interceptors that were standing by at Homestead AFB, Florida. We reveal that the order to launch never came even when two Cuban MiG-23s chased one remaining Brothers to the Rescue aircraft north of the 24th parallel and into our Air Defense Identification Zone (ADIZ).
9) We provide the sworn testimony of Major Jeffery Houlihan’s lone “911” call to Tyndall AFB warning of what was taking place-and how he was told, “we’re handling it, don’t worry….”
10) We expose and fully document the attempted cover-up initiated by Cuba and our own government in Washington, DC.
Was it a conspiracy or government ineptitude? You decide - we have provided all of the data, documentation, references and information in the first ever book of its kind.
The Obama administration is already hinting at negotiations with Cuba. Betrayal: Clinton, Castro & The Cuban Five stands to remind Americans of our past mistakes in dealing with the Castro’s and brings to light many of the mistakes made by the Clinton administration in doing so.
With President-elect Obama’s current staffing, this subject stands to be one of the top five in his term.
Happy New Year and warm wishes from sunny South Florida!
Matt Lawrence & Thomas Van Hare, Authors