Donald Trump organization planning to devevelop a hotel resort in Cuba?
Posted: 10 December 2008 08:42 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  992
Joined  2005-11-19

I regularly monitor domains that are registered with Cuba keywords.

On December 8, 2008 the domain names listed below were registered at GoDaddy but they have whois privacy protection on them so at this time, there is no way to know who owns these domains.

TrumpInCuba.com
TrumpOrganizationCuba.com
TrumpPlazaCuba.com
TrumpResortCuba.com
TrumpResortsCuba.com

I will monitor them for a change in the whois and see if any of the sites get developed or redirected to an existing website.

So, the registration of these domains can only mean three things:

1. Donald Trump is either preparing to build a resort in Cuba.

2. The Trump Organization is simply protecting their trademark by registering these domains in order to protect themselves against trademark infringement.

3. Someone is cybersquatting on the Trump brand in hopes of cashing in by trying to sell the domains to the Trump Organization.

My take on this is that #1 is the most likely reason these Cuba resort domain names were registered.

First, I don’t see why anyone would cybersquat these domains. I don’t think they would register this quantity and variety.

Second, I don’t see why Trump would register these names to protect their trademark. Again, the quantity and variety seem to be too much of a long shot for just protection.

So, that leads me to believe that the Trump Organization is at least preparing for a Cap Cana type resort in Cuba and perhaps sees a post-Embargo Cuba in 2009.

After all, his international competitor in the real estate business, Sir Terence Conran is already taking applications for his Carbonera Club resort in Cuba near Varadero.

We all know Donald Trump does not like to be second at anything.

Signature 

Cuba consulting services

Posted: 04 September 2009 08:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
10 to 29 posts
RankRank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2008-03-21

I know who Don Trump is. He is that TV acter that supposedly is a rich guy. Guess that is why he does TV commercials too.  You would think if hes got all this $ he could find something productive to invest it in. Tourism will bring losers to Cuba. Their are at least 100 sugaur mills in Cuba that gotta be rebuilt. Their are thousands of miles of RR to be rebuilt. They will need new power plants. Their are 4 refineries and I think 4 stell mills that will need help with modernization. The land down there could handle 1000 s a cattle and wouldnt it be neeto to see the first crops planted on that land. They got oil, iron ore and nickel mines.I guess Don Trump and his fans wouldnt understand that because they never had to work for $ and they sure dont want start cause then they wouldnt think they look like big shots. You start settin that country up for tourists and I think the Cuban people will probably start holding “Town Hall Style Meetings” and votin gringos out. Theyve been kicked around by a government for 50 yrs. that was supposed to save them They do not need to be kicked around by foreign tourists

Posted: 08 February 2010 04:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
10 to 29 posts
RankRank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2010-02-08

Though Terence Conran is really just lending his name to Carbonera - the main guy is Andrew Macdonald.

And I hear rumour that Macdonald’s backers are growing impatient at the amount that project is costing whilst there is still no sign of a change in Cuban real estate law to allow the project to go forward.

Posted: 08 February 2010 04:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-11-19

Where do you get your information? Lots of rumors in Cuba. I understand they have a lease on the land and are selling apartments and villas.

I don’t know about any date to break ground but I don’t think the plan is contingent upon a change of real estate laws in Cuba.

Now with regards to Leisure Canada, they say they are the leading real estate developer in Cuba yet they have never broken ground in Cuba that I know of.

Signature 

Cuba consulting services

Posted: 08 February 2010 04:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-11-19

PS I just checked on those Trump domains and all have expired.

Signature 

Cuba consulting services

Posted: 08 February 2010 04:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
10 to 29 posts
RankRank
Joined  2010-02-08

There are about 14 golf-course related projects, of which about three or four are relatively advanced - one in Playa del Este, Carbonera, one in Holguin and possibly one other. None of those have actually signed a joint venture. Until the JV is signed there is no lease (or usufruct) of the land.

At least Leisure Canada do have joint ventures created even if they haven’t been properly capitalised.

Posted: 08 February 2010 04:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-11-19

Interesting. Do you have a link or list of those golf course projects or maybe at least a list of the most likely areas where gold courses would be developed?

Signature 

Cuba consulting services

Posted: 08 February 2010 11:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
10 to 29 posts
RankRank
Joined  2010-02-08

No websits that I am aware of - that is not Palmares style. And the other foreign groups are not ardent publicity-hounds like Macdonald’s group.

Posted: 09 February 2010 08:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-11-19

As you probably know, getting accurate, unbiased information about business in Cuba is not easy. Can I ask how you know that 14 golf course projects are underway with three or four being advanced?

Signature 

Cuba consulting services

Posted: 09 February 2010 11:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
10 to 29 posts
RankRank
Joined  2010-02-08

The information is about third or fourth-hand from Palmares (the Cuban company that is dealing with these) - so is subject to errors in tranmission.

I am not sure that all 14 are underway - I believe that Palmares had designated between 12 and 15 sites for possible golf courses. I don’t think they have foreign partners involved in all of those.

Posted: 26 September 2010 02:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
10 to 29 posts
RankRank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2009-01-21

What do you think of Leisure Canada’s expansion into Cuba with the hotels and golf courses that they partnered with the Cuban Govt. with??

I think that once tourism opens up with the US it will bring much needed relief to the economy there and hopefully in a much better way than it did for the Cuban people in the 1950’s.

From my experiences the last 10 yrs. of going to Havana, I find that Americans are very welcome there by the people and that they are as excited as I am for the most part to have the travel ban lifted.

Until then, I will continue to fly to Cuba from Toronto or other cities circumventing the the embargo.

I enjoy staying at such a beautiful and historical place like the Hotel Nacional for $150 and seeing Meyer Lansky’s picture still up in the lobby.

I have had many positive talks with an atty. that works with the foreign investment act there about many more large scale projects coming on in the next few years with large companies such as Sheraton and other hotels based out of Canada.

Previously on http://www.leisurecanada.com/  this website they had a great link with a feature done by CNN/Fortune on investing in cuba that had featured Leisure Canada and Walter Berukoff and the many opportunities that Leisure Canada saw there.  The stock is at .17 per share, but I believe has a long way to go up if the travel ban is lifted.

If anyone has the link on the video done by CNN/Fortune could you please post it here?

Also, any insight would be helpful from those that have been to Havana and looked into business ventures there like I have.

millionaireblueprints.scriptmania.com

Signature 

Mark Green
millionaireblueprints.scriptmania.com

Posted: 30 October 2010 10:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-04-03

I regularly monitor domains that are registered with Cuba keywords.

On December 8, 2008 the domain names listed below were registered at GoDaddy but they have whois privacy protection on them so at this time, there is no way to know who owns these domains.

Hard to say if these domains were really for the Trump organization and I guess they are expired so we may never know.  With US Cuba relations what they are now, I wouldn’t think there is an opportunity in Cuba for Trump but as soon as this changes, I’m sure he will be first in line to build a huge resort…. JC, Las Vegas Best Hotel Vegas

[ Edited: 17 November 2010 10:01 AM by CassKessler ]