US inheritance in New Jersey, surviving heir in Cuba - experienced lawyer referral?
Posted: 31 October 2008 11:53 PM   [ Ignore ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-10-30

I’m looking for a referral to a US lawyer with successful experience in helping heirs living in Cuba get access to inheritances left to them in the US.

This excellent 2007 article has given me some promising leads in Florida that I can track down over the internet:
http://havanajournal.com/cuban_americans/entry/us-cuba-inheritance-lawyers-busy-finding-heirs/

However, I don’t know if a Florida lawyer can do the work for me, since my fact situation & the asset are all in New Jersey.  I don’t know how to find a New Jersey lawyer with US-Cuban inheritance experience.

I’d like to talk to someone who really ‘knows the drill’ about basic inheritance processes for Cubans.  I have a slightly unusual situation involving the surviving owner (elderly Cuban, living in Cuba) of a joint bank account opened with her now-deceased Cuban-American brother when she was in the US.

Should I go to the Miami lawyers in the linked article?

Any equivalents in New Jersey?

All suggestions welcome!

Posted: 01 November 2008 08:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  992
Joined  2005-11-19

Thanks for posting.

I just heard back from my lawyer friend and he said that he is “not licensed to provide any probate or any type of asset recovery services in New Jersey.” so he wouldn’t be able to help you and that you are going to need a lawyer that is licensed in New Jersey.

Good luck.

Keep us posted.

Signature 

Cuba consulting services

Posted: 01 November 2008 09:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-10-30

Really appreciate the info – now at least I know for sure I need a recommendation for a NEW JERSEY US-Cuban estate lawyer.
That should be NO problem, right? I know, maybe a little bit rough… :>)