Decrease in Cuban balseros trying to make it to the United States
Posted: 28 September 2008 08:09 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  992
Joined  2005-11-19

Fewer Cubans have been apprehended this fiscal year trying to enter the United States, according to the U.S. Coast Guard.

The agency said it had seen 25% fewer Cubans trying to illegally enter the United States this fiscal year, which ends Tuesday. That amounts to 2,140 people, compared with 2,868 migrants last year.

Still, plenty of Cubans are trying to make the 90-mile trip to the United States. Officials sent 29 Cubans back in four different incidents over the past week.

The Coast Guard said almost 100 Cubans in the past two years died or are missing and presumed dead attempting the trip to the U.S.

The decrease in those attempting the journey could be due to a busy Atlantic storm season. Caribbean waters have been dangerous for the past two months due to several hurricanes and tropical storms.

 Signature 

Cuba consulting services

Profile
 
 
Posted: 28 September 2008 08:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  992
Joined  2005-11-19

Let’s see if this upcoming fiscal year has an increase. People may have no choice but to leave the island. This time it is not for economic or political freedom but perhaps simply in search of food.

 Signature 

Cuba consulting services

Profile