Advertise at Havana Journal Inc

Cuba Oil Plans Could Put Hole in US Embargo
Posted: 13 June 2008 04:35 AM   [ Ignore ]
50+ posts ACTIVE MEMBER
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  60
Joined  2006-12-27

This is interesting reading…

http://www.reuters.com/article/ousiv/idUSN2834411020080612?pageNumber=1&virtualBrandChannel=0

Posted: 13 June 2008 05:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
50+ posts ACTIVE MEMBER
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-12-27

Mmm…

If my calculations are correct this represents over 200 billion dollars worth in today’s market place.

Posted: 13 June 2008 06:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  992
Joined  2005-11-19

Interesting parts…

“Drilling was supposed to begin this year and has been put off twice due to undisclosed factors that U.S. experts say likely include difficulty getting a rig because global drilling activity is high, the need for more downstream facilities to handle the oil and possible effects of the U.S. embargo.

The Cuban field lies as much as 6 miles below the sea surface, depths at which U.S. production technology is superior, said Cuba oil expert Jonathan Benjamin-Alvarado at the University of Nebraska-Omaha.

“Cuba and none of the present partners have that (depth) capability without accessing American technology, and therein lies the rub,” he said. “U.S. export controls forbid them to transfer that technology to Cuba.”“

Maybe oil with grease the wheels of US Cuba policy.

Signature 

Cuba consulting services

Posted: 18 June 2008 11:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-01-17

It seems to me that I read that Brazil has very good technology for deep drilling. No??

Posted: 30 June 2008 10:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  992
Joined  2005-11-19

And this article about Cuban oil from the Latin Business Chronicle.

Signature 

Cuba consulting services

Posted: 05 July 2008 07:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
50+ posts ACTIVE MEMBER
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-12-27

Interesting piece, I also saw this…

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/cuban_colada/2008/07/brazil-cuba-neg.html

If all goes to plan it will be interesting to see just how the cuban government plan to use any money from their oil projects to develop their infrastructure. The general consensus seems to suggest that the embargo has stunted development in this area. Also interesting, if factual,  to note the visit from american oil executives.

Posted: 15 August 2008 04:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-08-13

“In Venezuela, we have proven to our clients that we can deliver the construction of high quality well-bores in very difficult drilling environments. In particular we have excellent experience and success in the deep drilling areas in Lake Maracaibo and around Maturin”.

This is a claim made by the Venezuelan oil industry, maybe this could be a solution that will have a better solution for Cuban interest.