http://www.cubamaniaks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4530

Signature 

http://www.cubamaniaks.com/forum/index.php

Posted: 26 May 2008 10:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  992
Joined  2005-11-19

Awesome! Thanks for posting this great information about the new Habana bus tours along with very detailed photos of the bus routes.

Signature 

Cuba consulting services

Posted: 27 May 2008 04:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
50+ posts ACTIVE MEMBER
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  86
Joined  2007-07-07

mentioned it to a havana buddy of mine who says its been tried before and failed as not paying for itself.  Maybe times have changed.
I know teh varadero one is a great success, but we’re talking about a whole lot more potential passengers in a much less concentrated area.
I’m really looking forward to using line 3, which goes to Playa del este.  The two hotels I used there offer 2x a day free shuttle service to the old city.  Otehrwise its paying 15-20 CUC each way for a taxi or taking teh overcrowded (and i mean overcrowded #400 Havana bus for 5-10 CUP (the price is right but you’re lucky if you can get on the bus.)

Posted: 27 May 2008 04:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-11-19

Was it tried before in the old camelo buses? grin

Now that’s the real Cuban experience.

Seriously, I think it’s a good route and those are internationally recognized tour buses so tourists will feel safe and look forward to a good tour.

I picked up HavanaBusTours.com a while ago… now if they could just get the Internet in Cuba, maybe someone could use the domain. grin

Signature 

Cuba consulting services

Posted: 28 May 2008 09:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
50+ posts ACTIVE MEMBER
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-07-07

luckily my only exposure to the old camelo buses have been seeing them pass by.
But the #400 Havana bus is a trip in itself.  Runs every 10-30 min to Playa del Este.  Often wait for several buses before you can find one that you can get in.  Sometimes end up standing on the steps and hope the doors stay closed ....
Always give a 10 CUP note, sometimes get change; often don’t; one time got my whole 10 CUP note back
Once actually got a seat.  Understood then what a Cuban buddy of mine once said - getting a seat on a Havana bus is like riding in a Mercedes.

Can hardly wait to get back this fall.

Posted: 28 May 2008 10:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
30 to 49 posts
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2005-03-16

Camelos are all gone in Havana. Replaced by the new Chinese buses

Posted: 29 May 2008 09:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
50+ posts ACTIVE MEMBER
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-07-07

very true but apparently being used in other areas (I noticed in the south of the island, “public transportation” often consisted of loading people into trucks.  The 1st class trucks having benches, but many not even having that.
But Havana still has a long way to go.  Many routes use Canadian and European buses that sometimes date back to the 60s and 70s.  Buses are overloaded.
Long distant stretches have improved with the Astro buses, but medium stretches are still a big time problem.  One reason why you see so many people hitchhiking.
And of course the rail system is deteriorating more and more.

Cuba has a long way to go than just replace the camels…..

Posted: 04 June 2008 04:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
30 to 49 posts
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2005-03-16

Cuba offers the best transportation and comfort the early 1960s can provide grin

Posted: 04 June 2008 08:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
30 to 49 posts
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2008-01-24

I remember posting here…. I can’t see my post anymore. But I remember my question, and thank you Mako for answering it. I guess, the buses are still safe and very vintage.

Signature 

—Check more of my experiences at http://travelbargainhunters.ning.com/

Posted: 07 January 2009 08:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-11-19

Stella,

Enough with the comment spam. Post information that contributes to the thread or you will be banned.

Thank you.

Signature 

Cuba consulting services