Total Posts:  18
Joined  2007-08-05

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7149170.stm

Posted: 17 December 2007 08:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  992
Joined  2005-11-19

Thank you. I posted it over here http://havanajournal.com/politics/entry/fidel-castro-releases-statement-that-he-supports-younger-leadership/

Interesting that he just skips over Raul!

Signature 

Cuba consulting services

Posted: 19 February 2008 10:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2007-10-25

Officially retired! http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/19/world/americas/19castro.html?_r=1&scp=2&sq=castro&st=nyt&oref=slogin

Signature 

Open English - Personalized English Learning

Posted: 30 April 2008 04:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-08-31

I have recently started writing an alternate/counterfactual history titled, “The Cuban Civil War”. As the title suggests, it explores one of several alternatives open to the people of Cuba during this time of transition. I have decided to copy and paste the Preface below as I believe it raises some relevant questions:

As I write this Fidel Castro is on his deathbed. Just before Christmas 2007 he issued a public statement in which he declared his intention to retire and pass on the mantle of leadership to the “younger generation”. Whether or not this is true shall be seen with time. One thing is certain; Castro is 81 years old, extremely ill, and on the verge of passing on into the dustbin of history. His brother, the 77 year-old Raul is unpopular, politically ossified and has not been blessed with Fidel’s charisma. Nevertheless, if Fidel dies in the near future, Raul will take command in Cuba.
  For better or worse, whether one likes it or not, Fidel Castro must fall into that rare category of historical movers and shakers, the “Great Men”, and his legacy will live on in Cuba for generations after his death. Therefore, the important question affecting all Cubans (whether on the island or in exile), and all interested Cuba-watchers is, what shape and form will the transition of power take? In my personal opinion, the best case scenario would be a gradual loosening by the authorities in Havana of central power in the matter of religious, social, economic and political issues - but not necessarily in that order - leading to the eventual democratization of the island and its people. I believe that this would be the best hope for a peaceful transition and general avoidance of bloodshed, despite what some exiles in South Florida may think.
  The second question facing Cubans of all stripes is, what to do about the Revolution? The Cuban Revolution is a complex issue and one that has arisen in the island’s affairs not only in 1959, but in 1868, 1895 and 1933. As such, it has been an ongoing process of obtaining an elusive sovereignty and a utopian-like social existence for the Cuban people. A process that appears to many to have reached its apogee in the period 1959-to-the-present. Despite the totalitarian excesses of the Castro regime, the basic principles of the Revolution remain sound and should continue to be striven for. Unfortunately, it was stolen from the people in 1959 and placed in the hands of a small and elitist group of men whose personalities were shaped during the political gangsterism years of 1944-1952.
  But the question still stands; will the people turn their backs on the Revolution with Castro’s demise, or will they attempt to complete its implementation through other, more democratic means?
  Any number of possible scenarios exist for what might happen after Fidel’s death. I have chosen for this book the worst case of civil war, if only as a warning to all Cubans that it would be in their best interests to avoid at all costs any path which might lead to the shedding of our people’s blood. If I may quote one of my characters, Luis Garcia: “What I would prefer for Cuba is a federal form of government based on social-democratic principles and combined with a traditional libertarian respect for the individual rights and liberties of the citizen. That would make me a very happy man.”.
  One can only hope….