Cuba
Posted: 19 November 2007 07:40 AM   [ Ignore ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-11-19

Im planning to spend Xmas and New Year in Cuba, please advise the best place to be?
thank u

Posted: 19 November 2007 07:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
50+ posts ACTIVE MEMBER
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  86
Joined  2007-07-07

for someone who has never been to Cuba I always recommend Varadero as a good starting point.  Many will disagree with this though (kind of like visiting Disneyland when you want to visit the USA).  But it is not isolated like many of the otehr resort areas.  It is close to havana for that exploratory day trip, and yet misses the big city hustle and bustle of Havana.
If all you’re looking for is nice beach etc, there are numerous resort areas that offer that, but will be somewhat isolated.
In Havana itself, there are many good hotels near the old city if that’s what you’re after.
I was just in teh Playas del Este area, which is about 15-20 miles south-east of the.  There is a budget hotel, the Tropicoco as well as the soewhat better Club Atlantico that offer free shuttles to the old part of Havana.  A couple miles from there, although it is more isolated, is the still better Blau Club Arenal Hotel.
All in all it depends on what you are looking for.

Posted: 19 November 2007 12:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-11-19

thank u so much for info, very helpfull, do u know any good 4 star hotels in varadero perhaps?
regards Maria x

Posted: 19 November 2007 01:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
50+ posts ACTIVE MEMBER
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  86
Joined  2007-07-07

sorry I stay at the lower end hotels because 1. I like saving money and 2.  welcome the opportunity to mingle with locals.
However on trip advisor teh best rated hotels in Varadero are:
Iberostar Varadero
Paradisus Princesa del Mar
Iberostrar Tainos
Playa Alameda Varadero
Tryp Peninsula Varadero
Barcelo Solymar
Sol Palmeras
Melia Las Antillas

Perhaps some forum user has had experience with the better hotels in Varadero and can givve some better help.