The Work of a Business Man - CANE Season 1,  Episode 2
Posted: 02 October 2007 04:57 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  992
Joined  2005-11-19

Alex begins his reign as CEO of Duque Rum and presents his plan for a Florida-based ethanol refinery to the Senator, despite Frank’s opposition to the plan. Meanwhile, Alex must also deal with the repercussions of his plot to murder Quinones.

Signature 

Cuba consulting services

Posted: 02 October 2007 06:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-11-19

Just watched the show and I think it was much better than last week. The characters are developing. I’ll do a full review tomorrow.

Meanwhile, here’s the new URL for CANE just announced during this episode CBS.com/cane.

Signature 

Cuba consulting services

Posted: 04 October 2007 01:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
50+ posts ACTIVE MEMBER
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  86
Joined  2007-07-07

Had mixed feelings about first episode.  Think a lot of it had to do with so many characters being introduced so fast .... but ep 2 definitely got me hooked.  Unless it falls apart, we definitely have a winner.  Am playing with idea of taking dvd with shown episodes with me next time I go to Cuba hoping they dont get noticed by Aduana to see how some of my Cuban friends find it.

Posted: 08 October 2007 05:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-11-19

Sun Sentinel review

So, Palm Beach, how do you like Cane now?

The second episode of the CBS drama, supposedly set in Palm Beach County, could have been set on Gilligan’s Island for all the scene-setters and local color—as in almost none.

Get used to it. Under the best of circumstances, Cane is only planning to visit South Florida maybe twice a year. Off Tuesday’s Nielsen performance, Cane might never get to experience the best of circumstances.

The soapy drama lost about 2 million viewers from its lead-in The Unit, which it outdrew the first week of the season. It also was thumped by Boston Legal, which it beat a week ago.

What’s more Cane lost about two million viewers from its own premiere. It’s the norm for series to lose some of their opening night audience in week two, However, an almost 20 percent plunge usually is a harbinger of bad things to come.

Put it this way: Cane had just over nine million viewers, according to preliminary Nielsen results. A year ago on a comparable night Smith had eight million-plus viewers. Within a couple of weeks, Smith was history.

Cane could be digging its own grave. Last night, there were even more subtitled conversations, Spanish to English, than in the premiere. Subtitles are audience killers in scripted dramas and comedies. Even more problematic, some of the subtitled conversations involved characters who had demonstrated the ability to speak English.

CBS seems to be reaching out to the ever growing Latino audience but it might be doing so at the expense of alienating the mainstream. It would have been prudent to allow Cane to establish itself and get the audience invested in the characters and storylines before attempting a bold social experiment.

I don’t remember every minute of every episode but I can’t recall many, if any, instances of Italian to English subtitles in The Sopranos. I also can’t remember any complaints of lack of authenticity because of this.

One of the few South Florida references probably flew over the head of most of America. The Duque family was opening gifts when it was noted one came from the Fanjul family. Obviously, if the Duques are getting a present from the Fanjuls, they can’t be the Fanjuls, which had become a source of controversy.

The Fanjuls really need to get over themselves. Until they started complaining that the Duque clan was a thinly veiled copy of them, it would be safe to say that 99.9 percent of America had no idea of who they are. Their sugar products might be familiar but not them. I know I had never heard of them but I’ve only lived here more than 35 years. Yet CBS caved and changed the show’s location from Palm Beach to a fictional town near Palm Beach, to distance the Duques from the Fanjuls.

Only through their complaining have people learned of the Fanjuls and thus possibly wondered how much of the Duque family shenanigans might have been lifted from real life.

Signature 

Cuba consulting services