Advertise at Havana Journal Inc

1 of 2
Cuban rum brands and production information
Posted: 17 July 2007 05:41 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  992
Joined  2005-11-19

There are several brands of Cuban rum such as Ron Cubay, Ron Santiago de Cuba, Cuba Ron, Ron Varadero and of course Havana Club. In case you have not realized it, ron is the Spanish word for rum.

There is a great list of Cuban rums from the official Cuban rum site at CubaRon.com

Here is the list of Havana Club brands from Wikipedia:
  * Anejo Blanco (Anejo means aged)
  * Anejo 3 Anos
  * Anejo Especial
  * Anejo Reserva
  * Anejo 7 Anos
  * Anejo 15 Anos - Gran Reserva
  * Anejo Solera - San Cristobal
  * Extra Anejo - Maximo
  * Cuban Barrel Proof

This is the official contact information for Cuba Ron:

Corporacion Cuba Ron, S.A.
Calle 200 #1708 esq. 17. Reparto Atabey. Playa, C. Habana. Cuba
Tel.: 336602-03, Fax: 336600
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Havana Club International, S.A.
Calle A No.309, entre 13 y 15, Vedado,
Ciudad de La Habana
Telefonos: 336597/99, 662566/67
Fax: 336598

Comercializadora Cuba Ron
Calle 44 No.305, entre 3ra. y 3ra.A, Miramar, Playa
Ciudad de La Habana
Telefonos: 2046275, 2042566
Fax: 2046231
Email: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Lastly, here is an old article from Cigar Aficionado titled Rum Rundown that will give you LOTS of information about rum production in Cuba.

Here are there picks for best Cuban rums:

OUTSTANDING
Matusalem Anejo Superior
Havana Club seven years old
Ron Santiago 45 Aniversario
Havana Club Gran Reserva
Varadero seven years old

VERY GOOD
Havana Club three years old
Los Marinos Paticruzados five years old
Caribbean Club five years old
Havana Club five years old

Have you had Cuban rum? Do you collect old Cuban rum bottles? We would love to read about your experiences with Cuban rum.

[ Edited: 24 June 2009 09:15 PM by publisher ]
 Signature 

Cuba consulting services

Posted: 19 July 2007 01:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
10 to 29 posts
RankRank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2007-07-19

Havana Club seven years old is the undisputed champ of Cuban rums.  I’ve only heard one complaint about it so far, from someone who said drinking that particular rum would give them a headache.  Pretty soon you’ll be seeing Havana Club in the U.S. again, though whether or not it’s the original recipe is a matter of debate (between the Cuban government and the family that claims the Havana Club produced in Cuba doesn’t follow their original recipe).

Signature 

~ Learn more about Cuban Food, and the traditional Mojito Recipe.

Posted: 19 July 2007 01:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
50+ posts ACTIVE MEMBER
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  86
Joined  2007-07-07

of the good ones mentioned Havana Club 7 yr old is the one you’ll see most commonly. selling for about 12 CUC a botle.  I also saw and was tempted to buy the 15 yr old Havana Club, but at 85 CUC a bottle, I couldn’t justify it to myself.  Taking a (free) tour of the rum museum in Havana is very interresting - free samples after the tour.
At my All Inclusive hotel, they used the el-cheapo rum with the el-cheapo cola for their rum and coke at their included bars; but under 1 CUC (I think it was 85 centavos), you could get a 7 yr havana club with (Mexican) coca cola.
Everywhere I drank rum was cheaper than beer.

Posted: 19 July 2007 01:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
10 to 29 posts
RankRank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2007-07-19
manfredz - 19 July 2007 01:16 AM

Everywhere I drank rum was cheaper than beer.

Shots of rum are definitely cheaper than a can of Cristal almost anywhere in Havana, and that includes diners.  The exception to the rule is the “beer” that they sell out of cardboard cups at some clubs.

Signature 

~ Learn more about Cuban Food, and the traditional Mojito Recipe.

Posted: 19 July 2007 01:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
50+ posts ACTIVE MEMBER
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-07-07

ahhh the infamous peso beer .... suppose one day I’ll try it but until then its either Cristal or Buckanero (can buy Cristal here at our liquor stores in Ontario Canada but haven’t seen Buckanero)

Posted: 19 July 2007 03:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-11-19

I’m sad to say I have not had Cuban rum but was at a party the other night and had some Venezuelan rum that was seven years old. WOW that was good stuff. If Cuban rum is better than that, I’m ready!

Cuban beer. Ah, doesn’t have the same sex appeal as Cuban rum.

Signature 

Cuba consulting services

Posted: 19 July 2007 09:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
50+ posts ACTIVE MEMBER
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-07-07

i found the cristal to be comparable to mexican beer;  the buckanero had more body to it.Dont know if these two stories are true but heard that both are brewed by the same brewery and that the brewery was setup or modernized by one of Canada’s biggest breweries, Labatt’s, but is now run entirely by the Cubans.

Posted: 24 July 2007 12:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2007-07-24

I’m a great fan of Cuban rum and try and promote it wherever possible here in the UK. Up until about 2 year ago it was difficult to find in the bars, now I’m happy to say it can be found in most of my local bars, yippee. I love 7 year old - straight, I do have a bottle of 15 which I treated myself too on my last trip out to Holguin, about half the bottle left and that is really good!! I keep the others for mixing, Mojito’s, Cuba libre’s etc.  A few times some bars try and pass off Bacardi rum in my drinks, its so different and I really don’t like it, it has to be Havana Club every time and you can tell the difference as its far superior.

Posted: 29 July 2007 01:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-07-29

You are correct about the Labatts connection. They went down a number of years ago and assisted the Cubans with modernizing their brewery. There are many joint Canadian- Cuban businesses. You see the flags of both countries outside some of these businesses when traveling the island. Chinese flag is increasingly common also.

As for the rum has anyone out there tried Lengendario 7 anos? I believe it is absolutely the best accompaniment to a cigar you can find. Unlike the other rums it is 34% alcohol and I assume the unfermented sugar cane gives it the sweet taste but with wonderful finish. If you like port with a cigar you probably will also like this. Alas only bought one bottle when I visited the factory in Havana and was unable to find it the last time I was on the island (not in Havana) so I am not sure how widely it is distributed. It was a small factory. A friend who owns a pub tells me he can order it but has to be a case. At Canadian prices though not the $6 CUC’s in Cuba. One third of a bottle left but if any rum lovers are passing by North Bay, Ontario I would be willing to share a shot if its still here. Cheers.

teejay

Posted: 19 August 2007 09:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2007-08-18

Matusalem

no more exist, why the cuban have lost the namerights. Today is thid Name Ron Santiago de Cuba

Signature 

Saludos

Danilo

de la

http://www.galeriacubana.de

Posted: 28 January 2008 12:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-11-19

This is how http://havana-club.com has the bottles in order on their site

Anejo Blanco
Anejo 3 Anos
Anejo Especial
Anejo Reserva
Anejo 7 Anos
Cuban Barrel Proof
15 Gran Reserva
Maximo

Is this the order of quality and price?

Also, anyone ever buy any Cuban rum off ebay? I see there is some listed but you are buying the bottle not the contents. That’s how ebay allows the sale.

Signature 

Cuba consulting services

1 of 2