CANE Good move or bad move for Jimmy Smits
Posted: 12 July 2007 11:21 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  992
Joined  2005-11-19

From LA Law to NYPD Blue to the West Wing and now onto CANE. Is this a good move. Did you see the trailer?

Go to http://www.cbs.com/primetime/fall_preview_2007/ then find the CANE show and click on video and it will start.

The dialog looks a little quirky but sounds like an interesting premise.

This is a thread in http://CaneForum.com so just remember that and you get here.

Signature 

Cuba consulting services

Posted: 18 July 2007 08:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2007-07-18

just saw the video promo on CBS’s website, and i agree, the dialogue does seem a little “off.”

i’m a writer myself, so i try to refrain from dissecting/criticizing other writers’ works, as i know how difficult the process can be. however, as a Cuban-American, or a Latino, period, i often find myself cringing when i hear the dialogue that’s often written for Latino characters on TV and in movies. that Cynthia Cidre is Cuban only helps, i hope.

and not that the ubiquitous thug or gangbanger character is a better alternative, but the immaculately dressed, monotone, and highly polished diction-spouting (sometimes slightly accented, most times VERY accented) crime lord wears me out. from my experience, Paul Shenar’s brilliant portrayal of Alejandro Sosa in Scarface set the mold.

but i’ve always liked Jimmy Smits, and i’ve never been the type to complain when a Latino actor of one nationality plays a character of another (i DO complain when the actor’s ethnicity/nationality don’t match the characters, as in waaay too many of the extras during the Freedomtown scenes in Scarface, who mainly looked Central American and not at all Cuban).

anyway… looking forward to it, as the premiere of the FIRST Latino-based dramatic series on primetime TV (Kingpin, on NBC in 2003, was a mini-series, apparently).

Signature 

**saints are sinners who keep trying**

Posted: 19 July 2007 03:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-11-19

Seems like they have a good cast and I don’t think Jimmy Smits has made any bad decisions in his career yet so maybe this show will take off.

Do you know the writers’ names and reputations? Have they had successful careers? Have they written Cuban American related stories?

Signature 

Cuba consulting services

Posted: 19 July 2007 03:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-11-19

Here is a good story about Jimmy Smits’ role as co-executive producer on the Cane show:

By CRISTINA KINON | DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

It all comes down to the script, says Jimmy Smits, who stars in and is a producer on CBS’ new drama “Cane.”

“I think that Cynthia’s [Cidre, the creator] voice is unique,” Smits told members of the Television Critics Association yesterday. “I think, more than anything, it was the fact that Nina [Tassler, CBS Entertainment president] has decided that she can open up the box in terms of what’s possible on network television.”

Cane, a drama about an affluent Cuban-American family running sugar and rum businesses out of South Florida, also stars Hector Elizondo, Nestor Carbonell and Rita Moreno.

Smits was the first on board.

“If you write it, they will come,” said executive producer Jonathan Prince, referring to the large, seasoned cast.

Smits serves as a co-executive producer on the show, and came into the process early enough to help shape the script. Prince said his work made “Cane” that much better.

“Since the day we got the pickup and we assembled the writer’s room, Jimmy’s been in the writer’s room,” said Prince. “Not ever do you hear Jimmy say, ‘What would Alex [Smits’ character] do? What’s in it for Alex?’ Jimmy’s got a bigger view.”

In fact, said Prince, Smits refused to recite the best monologue of the pilot episode because he felt it wasn’t in tune with his character.

Not hogging the limelight is okay by Smits, a star of “NYPD Blue,” who said he works better in an ensemble. “It has to do with my background in theater,” he said. “I think we all know we have this beautiful wheel here that has a lot of possibilities, and we’re all very important spokes in it.”

The plot of “Cane” revolves around a lot of important people, a lot of money and, inevitably, a lot of deceit. Already, critics have begun making comparisons to the recently departed “Sopranos.”

“I hope we get all of the critical acclaim and three times the viewership,” said Prince of the Italian-American drama.

“Half the people want us to be ‘Dallas,’ the other half want us to be ‘The Sopranos,’” said Cidre. “We’re neither.”

Smits and Prince are also adamant that the music in “Cane” will be a powerful, integral part of the show. “It’s something that we plan to deliver on a weekly basis,” Smits said. “And you do see different generations here [in the cast], and the music is going to be, hopefully, reflective of that tapestry of American music.”

Signature 

Cuba consulting services

Posted: 21 July 2007 07:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-11-19

Just found this article with many comments about Jimmy Smits and how he is half Puerto Rican and that CBS wanted Hispanic looking actors, not necessarily “white” Cubans.

Cuban-American Drama Cane to Debut on CBS: Andy Garcia, Where Are You?

Signature 

Cuba consulting services

Posted: 14 August 2007 03:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-11-19

This review is not so hot on the season premier but I imagine that this show may take a couple episodes to get on its feet. Also, if Fidel dies between now and the September 25th premier of CANE tv show, then you might see national interest in this show.

Signature 

Cuba consulting services

Posted: 11 September 2007 11:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-09-11
machete - 18 July 2007 08:55 PM

just saw the video promo on CBS’s website, and i agree, the dialogue does seem a little “off.”

(i DO complain when the actor’s ethnicity/nationality don’t match the characters, as in waaay too many of the extras during the Freedomtown scenes in Scarface, who mainly looked Central American and not at all Cuban).

That’s my main complaint, as well. Cubans come in all shapes and colors but are not indio.

Signature 

http://www.cubagreenscreen.com

Posted: 12 September 2007 08:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2007-09-12

As a Lukumi priestess of the Yoruba Tradition, I am begging Jimmy Smits nor the writers/producers not to allow our African Traditional Religions not to be disparaged ala “The Believers”.  If they decide to depict Babalawos, Santeros or Paleros, we pray that our traditions will be given the respect they deserve.

It is time that those of us (and in this country there are at least one million) who live this way of life stand up.  I do not know how to contact Ms. Cidre, if you could forward her email address, I would appreciate it.

At least, in the movie Mambo Kings, Dona Cruz (Celia) help up her portrayal as a Yemaya/Lukumi Priestess with some dignity. so I have hope.

OKD