Are these Cohibas Esplendidos real or fake? Please help
Posted: 15 January 2007 03:39 PM   [ Ignore ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2007-01-15

A friend gave me a box of five Cohiba Esplendidos. And before I spark one I would like to know if they are the real McKoy or not. Quit frankly I think this cigars are not authentic from cuba as they claim they are…...if in fact this are fakes then I will destroy them…but before I do something like that I need your help to figure out if this cigars are the real thing or knock-offs. I have posted pics so you can help me come to a conclusion. Here are the links to the pics. Thanks for you time

http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2006250770941079343

http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2002338144543325785

Posted: 15 January 2007 03:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  992
Joined  2005-11-19

I think they are fakes. Take a look at our comprehensive side-by-side comparison of fake vs real cohiba esplendidos here http://havanajournal.com/cigars/cohibas .

If he did not buy them INSIDE an authorized Casa Del Habano, they are most likely fake.

A box of 25 should cost about $500 IN CUBA.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Signature 

Cuba consulting services

Posted: 15 January 2007 07:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Joined  2007-01-15

Thank You for your input. I don’t know the exact story of how my friend got them, but he does claim that they are the real deal. I have visted the article you pointed out to me. The article is very imformative. The article points out that the real cohiba band has a gold ink and is slightly raised, the ones I have don’t show that.
I am days away to dissecting one of the cigars and using the information that is provided on this website to come to my conclusion.

Posted: 15 January 2007 08:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-11-19

It would be a tragedy to dissect a real cohiba but at least you would know that you have 24 good ones left. If you cut it up and it is junk, you have not smoked junk. If you cut one open you should see whole leaves with the hard veins cut out. If you find shredded tobacco you have a fake. If you find one fake they are all fakes.

People want to believe they got a good deal but fakes are probably more common than real cohibas.

Also, you don’t want to smoke fakes, they could be banana leaves or who knows what! Obviously there is no quality control in fakes because the sellers don’t care about repeat business. Once a Cuban criminal sells you a box of fakes, they don’t want you to find them again.

Check the box. There is a fake cohiba box page link at the bottom of that link I posted above.

Get it?

Signature 

Cuba consulting services

Posted: 15 January 2007 09:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Joined  2007-01-15

Actaully the package I have is only a five cigar Esplendidos not twenty five. I have looked all over the net to see an actual picture like the package I have. But I have not seen one, please take one more look at the pics I have posted..and give me some feedback….If when I dissect a cigar I will post the results here along with picture of the material inside, so the whole world can see what comunism as done to the world of cigar aficionados.  LOL

Posted: 15 January 2007 10:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-11-19

I looked at the cigar label photos you posted and they look fake. I have never heard of a box of five Cohibas so that would be another strike but I could be wrong.

Signature 

Cuba consulting services

Posted: 17 January 2007 01:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Joined  2007-01-15

Ok I couldn’t wait any longer, so I opened the box of the Cohiba Esplendidos that my friend gave me and removed one cigar to dissect it and see the insides and compare it to the pictures provided on this site. After doing so I have come to the conclusion the the Esplendidos that I have are NOT genuine. There was not a single leaf with a “V” shape. It was leaves all right, but diffrent kinds of leafs all diffrent colors and aroma. I have provided some pictures of my operation on the cigar so you can see for yourself, I think the pictures speak for them selfs.

You have to click both links to see all the pictures:

http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2003444477817682719

http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2000548238903653243

Posted: 17 January 2007 08:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-11-19

Ramon,

Thanks for taking one for the team and cutting up a Cohiba. Sad to find out but at least now you know. Also, those other leaves could be banana leaves or some other crap just swept off the floor. I would not suggest smoking them. Since they are fakes they have been made by criminals and cheaters who probably do not have any quality control.

Throw them out or save for teaching aids for others.

Thanks for posting here at the Havana Journal. Glad we could help.

Signature 

Cuba consulting services

Posted: 17 January 2007 12:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Joined  2007-01-15

Thanks for your reply, your website has been instrumental in educating myself and other brothers on this topic. As I dissected the cigar I could not help but actually enjoying the aroma of the fake cohiba, who ever did this tried it’s best in reproducing the real thing. I found that the leafs insde were very fresh and strong in it’s aroma, alomost temping to smoke. But you are absolutely right you just never know what you are smoking. I can’t wait to tell my friend this story.

Posted: 01 March 2007 03:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2007-03-01

Although Cohibas are sold in five packs, I instantly knew they were fakes.  Cohibas are NEVER wrapped in cellophane.  EVER!  The band is a terrible reproduction as well.

Posted: 11 July 2007 03:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-11-19

Buy any good cigars lately?

Signature 

Cuba consulting services

Posted: 28 September 2007 04:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2007-09-28
cheval47 - 01 March 2007 03:55 PM

Although Cohibas are sold in five packs, I instantly knew they were fakes.  Cohibas are NEVER wrapped in cellophane.  EVER!  The band is a terrible reproduction as well.

Although the specimen presented here definitely fakes (short filler, glass top boxes, horrible bands), I’ve seen and smoked Cohibas that were wrapped in celophane.  These were from the 80’s.

Posted: 18 November 2007 04:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2007-11-18

I’ll go for the fake ones, too.