Are these Esplendidos real?
Posted: 04 June 2006 08:52 PM   [ Ignore ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2006-06-04

I have purchased this box of Esplendidos from a person here in Canada that says they were sold to him by someone that works in the factory in Cuba.
I have taken many detailed photos for you to compare.
I’m hoping an expert may see this and give me their opinion.
In on picture I have added a Romeo Y Julieta for comparison.

http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/macdonlk/album?.dir=/217cre2&.src=ph&.tok=phkKj.EB0MyOer7M
Thank You

Posted: 04 June 2006 09:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  992
Joined  2005-11-19

Welcome to the Havana Journal and thanks for your post.

They look legit. We did an extensive review right here at the Havana Journal. Check out this page http://havanajournal.com/cigars/cohibas and be sure to read the second page that shows the boxes.

Keep us posted. Tell us the story good or bad.

Rob

Signature 

Cuba consulting services

Posted: 04 June 2006 09:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Joined  2006-06-04

Hi
Thanks for the super fast reply.
The worries I had were that the label was positioned covering the Cohiba logo on the box.
The insided Cohiba label looks photocopied and rough. (Is it possible to have a shoddy looking label like that from the factory?)
And finally the cut in the inside panel is diagonal and not notched.

Please let me know what you think about these findings.

Thanks again.

Posted: 04 June 2006 09:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-11-19

I saw that the label looked a little rough and that the cover board was cut and not notched. The clasp looks legit. How about the hinges?

Also, is the gold lettering raised on the COHIBA cigar band. The real ones have raised lettering.

Signature 

Cuba consulting services

Posted: 04 June 2006 09:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Joined  2006-06-04

I posted some more pics in the album.
The letters on the cigar labels are raised.
If they are fake they are pretty good.

Posted: 05 June 2006 12:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2006-03-20

we bought a box of cohibas in cuba ..in the same box as in the photos..

we paid 40 dollars…but have been told by many they must be fake…but they looked really good..and the people that smoked them said they were ok..

Signature 

http://www.cubamaniaks.com/forum/index.php

Posted: 05 June 2006 08:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-11-19

Fliss,

Cut one open if you want and inspect the filler. If it is shredded like cigarette filler, it’s a fake. It they have whole leaves with the veins cut out, then you probably have real Cohibas.

Good luck.

Rob

Signature 

Cuba consulting services

Posted: 05 June 2006 08:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2006-03-20

did that pub…they looked ok ...but there are those that say if you buy of street they are nearly always fake..l suppose there are good fakes and bad ones maybe… grin

Signature 

http://www.cubamaniaks.com/forum/index.php

Posted: 23 July 2006 01:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2006-07-23

they are FAKE.

Posted: 11 July 2007 03:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-11-19

Have you bought any more Cuban cigars?

Signature 

Cuba consulting services

Posted: 19 July 2007 12:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
10 to 29 posts
RankRank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2007-07-19

Its not unheard of to buy a box of Esplendidos for $40, or even $20.  One thing that people never seem to realize is that cheap Cohibas aren’t necessarily fakes (even if the bands themselves don’t look legit), but that you’re getting the cigars with imperfections that would have been tossed out.  If the seam isn’t right on a particular cigar, if the shading is uneven, if the cap doesn’t seem right, that’s enough to prevent a cigar from ever making it into a box that will find itself on store shelves.  So its not altogether unlikely that a factory worker can get his hands on cigars that will smoke just fine, but have superficial imperfections.  Some guys selling cigars would even let people randomly pick a cigar to sit there and smoke with them, to prove that they are getting a quality cigar.  So sometimes a fake isn’t always a “fake”.

Signature 

~ Learn more about Cuban Food, and the traditional Mojito Recipe.

Posted: 19 July 2007 01:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
50+ posts ACTIVE MEMBER
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  86
Joined  2007-07-07

both times I was in cuba I bought cigars from someone working at hotel.  Supposedly real Monte Cristos Nr 4.  First time 5 CUC for 5; second visit 35 CUC for 25.  Supposedly has a brother who worked in a cigar factory.  Since they smoked fine and were very enjoyable I suppose i’m not a “real” cigar smoker, when the only criteria I used for my satisfaction was they were very very good for the price.
I would never buy from someone on the street (you’ll constantly be approached by people offering to sell, but when you just say no or shake your head, they move on), but figure you’ve got a better chance from someone working at your hotel, because they want to keep a good reputation.  They must know that if they sell garbage, word would spread among the tourists.
Btw, I found the prices at the Duty free shop at the Varadero airport to be slightly better than at the state run cigar stores with an every bit as good selection.

Posted: 19 July 2007 03:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-11-19

TasteOfCuba and manfredz, great information. Thanks.

Signature 

Cuba consulting services

Posted: 29 July 2007 01:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-07-29

I have been to Cuba 7 times now and although that does not qualify me as an expert I have purchased many, many cigars both for while I was there and to bring home. I think everyone I have ever purchased from has told me that they have a relative working at the factory and thats how they got them. Its possible I guess but I consider them all to be fakes. There are good and bad. The price of real Cubans, even in Cuba, is getting out of my price range. I buy a few while I am there and often a box to take home but thats it. Beside that while I am there I normally buy from someone I have met and someone who will allow me to try the cigar before I buy the whole box. If I like it I hope that all the rest of them are just as good but when paying $25 for a box of Partagas Series D I am not too disappointed a few of them do not perform up to standard. I believe as a previous poster said that some of them are seconds legitamately from the factory, others taken from the aging rooms a little prematurely and some completely fake. Almost all of them come in very legitimate looking boxes and with real looking bands. For the Cohibas look and see if on the bands there are more or less than two rows of dots above the name Cohiba. Often times the white around the name Cohiba will cut through the middle of a row of dots. Unless they have gotten very sloppy at the printing presses these are fakes. Not necessarily terrible cigars though. What I have taken to doing now is buying the Cuban peso cigars while I am there. I have these to be good consistent cigars and as the name suggests they go for a peso (not a convertible but real peso) each. They come bundled in a paper wrapper in a package of 25. The last one I bought in April 07 cost me 1 convertible and 20 centovos for 25. Thats pretty hard to beat and at least you know what you are getting. You can’t buy these at any tourist stores and I have been told that they will take them away from you if they find them when you are leaving the country. Right now you are allowed to take 23 cigars out of Cuba without a receipt. Any others have to have an official receipt or they will be taken away if found. If you take the bands off though they could easily form part or all of your 23. The ones I had were from Camaguey and were called Surco’s. I think they are made regionally so the name may change in different areas. Go to a local store the Cubans frequent or a bar and they should have them. Otherwise just ask anyone they can easily pick them up for you. You will not find them on resorts though. Happy puffing.

teejay

Posted: 18 November 2007 04:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Joined  2007-11-18

Real or not real the account is looked now. I guess the topic is closed.