Getting engaged with a Cuban
Posted: 08 March 2006 09:26 PM   [ Ignore ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2006-02-22

I’ve got a question I’m hoping someone can help me with:
I’m in the process of getting engaged with a Cuban.  One of the requirements to bring a fiance over to the U.S. is that you need to have seen each other within the last 2 years.  Of course, as a U.S. citizen, I’m not authorized to visit the island to see a girlfriend.  However, I have been over there through a 3rd country.  My question is: should I admit that I’ve been over there, in order to establish the fact that we’ve seen each other recently, or should I claim as a hardship the law that prevents me from visiting?
Any input would be appreciated.

Posted: 08 March 2006 09:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  992
Joined  2005-11-19

1. Don’t do it.

2. Don’t do it.

Search marriage here at the Havana Journal and do your homework about marrying a Cuban. They are great people but many/most will do just about anything to get out of Cuba.

Signature 

Cuba consulting services

Posted: 09 March 2006 10:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2006-02-09

Why don’t you just send her or him $10,000.  Never return to Cuba and call it a day. It’s going to be alot cheaper or you this way.

Posted: 09 March 2006 11:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2005-05-18

Yes, it’s a bit like saying all blacks are muggers. Patently untrue

Posted: 09 March 2006 06:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2006-03-09

Would you be willing to get married and live in Cuba with your wife or husband?

My sister married a Cuban and lived there for 6 years before they moved to Canada. Otherwise I would be very careful and check into everything because not very many Cuban/Canadian marriages seem to make it once the Cuban gets to Canada. I can say this because I know alot of couples. The cuban gets very homesick, hates the weather, etc.

Posted: 10 March 2006 05:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2006-02-22

I’m not seeking relationship advice here, but instead I’m trying to figure out how to get this done in the legal way.  I’ve considered moving to Cuba but we all know how difficult (i.e. impossible) it is to make a living over there.  So, again, if anybody has any input on what I should declare, I’d appreciate it.

Posted: 11 March 2006 12:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
30 to 49 posts
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2005-03-16

Based upon what you have written; have you considered conjugal visits as a possibility?

Posted: 13 March 2006 10:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2006-02-09
Mako - 11 March 2006 12:44 AM

Based upon what you have written; have you considered conjugal visits as a possibility?

LOL not that was funny.

Posted: 12 December 2007 02:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-12-12

I would like to know what is involved in getting engaged to a Cuban (man). What I would like to happen is that I get to spend enough time with him there to get an idea of whether it is, or is not, completely descabellada.  And to have the option of inviting him to UK for 3 mths. If I did that, would he also be able to visit his brother in France? and how do you, actually, get engaged?!

Posted: 12 December 2007 02:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-11-19

I doubt he would be able to leave the country unless and until you were married. Forget about visiting France, you have a lot of other hassles on your hands before you can even think about that.

See above. Cubans will do and say anything to get off the island then when they do, they usually split.

So, I’d say Good Luck but you’re going to need more than that. Just go for the sex and leave the love out of it. He doesn’t love you. He loves your foreign status and lifestyle.

Signature 

Cuba consulting services

Posted: 12 December 2007 03:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2007-12-12

Yes but. Does anyone actually know about the legal status of an engagement in Cuba. Maybe I want to do this for him as a friend.

Posted: 12 December 2007 03:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-11-19

I don’t know the particulars but a local Cuban should know very well how the process works. Figure that it will take a long time and a lot of your time. Nothing is easy in Cuba.

Signature 

Cuba consulting services

Posted: 18 December 2007 09:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
10 to 29 posts
RankRank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2007-05-12

Katrina
There’s no legal status for engagement. Neither the Cuban authorities not the UK embassy in Havana will acknowledge it

You could apply for a fiancee visa at the UK embassy in Havana but it costs the same as a husband visa and you have to present an appointment with the notary for you to get married in the UK.

You can invite him to visit as a friend on a tourist visa (6 months at present, it might be halved soon) and it’s pretty straightforward. It could be on the expensive side, particularly with the oncoming new regulations in the UK

As the UK is not part of Schenguen it will be difficult to go to Europe once he is in the UK. France will request he gets the Schenguen tourist visit in Havana before he leaves.

I am based in Lnd so send me a private message for further details, I am happy to share info on the matter

UK embassy in Cuba:
http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/cuba

Cuban embassy in the UK
http://www.cubaldn.com

Regards

katrina - 12 December 2007 03:34 PM

Yes but. Does anyone actually know about the legal status of an engagement in Cuba. Maybe I want to do this for him as a friend.

Posted: 25 January 2008 04:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Joined  2008-01-25

Hey Mr Publisher por aqui te habla a Cuban… Really is real about a lot of cuban said and do anything to get off the island, but did u think that everyone is the same? i don’t think so…. u know what? is been a year since im here in Canada and is real that after a while your mind can change and ur live too, but im in the same place since a year and i know some cuban and canadian couples, and others from spain or France that they are togerther for almost 5 years, so i Hope that this people that are trying to get married or engagement with a cuban, don’t listen this kind of person that is posible they was in a relationship with a cuban that did’nt last, so is like we said if u have a woman take care of her, if u have a husband the same, so i hope everything gona turn very well for you all, and follow your heart, no matter what…...I know some Canadians Couples that they was married for few months and the relationship ended at the court house…. So this is just a message u take it or leave it… u never know what the life brings to you… so go ahead and is not about cubans is about HUMANS

Posted: 27 February 2008 12:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Joined  2008-02-26

Good call Cubanodepinar!  Yes there are many that would love to leave the country , but there are many the refuse to leave as well!  A girfriend of mine, fell in love with a Cuban and unfortunately he said he loved her, but was unwilling to leave Cuba and his family. 

I’ve recently returned from Varadero, and met someone.  I’m going to go back for another 2 weeks in April, but am wondering if this turns out to be a long term thing, is there any way to be employed in Cuba without being a citizen?

Posted: 05 May 2008 07:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-11-19

rehman,

Thanks for posting. Your problem most likely is on the Cuban side. The government takes a long time to process paperwork and they don’t give out much information.

I have started a forum here http://havanajournal.com/forums/viewthread/854/ .

Please go there then post the name of the school you were accepted to and maybe we can get some information.

Signature 

Cuba consulting services