Advertise at Havana Journal Inc

How to study medicine in Cuba
Posted: 09 December 2005 04:10 PM   [ Ignore ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2005-02-21

Hi,

I am a Latin-Celt (Irish with Mediterranean descent) living in the Midlands in the UK. I am currently studying my A levels in the hope of going to medical school and studying to be a medic. However, I am tired of life in the West, and aspire for the cultural and political opportunities in South and Central America.

I would very much like to study medicine in Cuba, but I can’t seem to find any information on how someone like me could do so.

Could somebody help me out?

Gracias,

Kieran Doherty

Posted: 10 December 2005 07:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2005-02-21

I am currently learning Spanish casually, but am prepared to do a few intensive language training courses etc. to improve it.

I haven’t been to Cuba, but I’m visiting next year, along with Mexico, Colombia, Venezuela and Peru.

Thanks for the info!

Posted: 14 December 2005 06:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
10 to 29 posts
RankRank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2005-01-04

Libertarian…
I live in Cuba and don’t have to worry about Fidel Castro’ “political police”. Have you ever been to Cuba and if so, for how long? With such ludicrous and uninformed comparisons like Che and Mengele, it would see that your understanding of the country is superficial at best (as well as that of history). I suggest you read a bit more and spout a bit less…

Posted: 11 July 2007 03:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  992
Joined  2005-11-19

Yixian,

Any updates for us? Have you been able to study in Cuba or was it too difficult?

Signature 

Cuba consulting services

Posted: 30 September 2007 09:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2007-09-30

Hi,

i have done my graduation in pharmacy from Murdoch University,England . Now I want to do my masters from cuba .
Does any one has done his masters from their and can let me know the universities their and also whats the admission criteria.

Signature 

conservative blog

Posted: 21 January 2008 08:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  992
Joined  2005-11-19

Sorry, no updates on this thread for a while. We have put together some information at our http://CubaMed.com site.

Signature 

Cuba consulting services

Posted: 02 June 2009 05:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-06-02

I am a duel Canadian and French citizen living in Costa Rica.  I have been here for 7 years and I am interested in studying medicine in Cuba.  Where else can I find information on the web about how to apply or who to contact?

Thank you.

Posted: 13 March 2010 09:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
10 to 29 posts
RankRank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2008-03-17

If a person were to study medicine in Cuba, would they be qualified (recognized/accredited) to practice medicine in North America, and other ‘1st world countries’?  I know that Cuban trained Doctors are not able to practice medicine in Canada, but, I am wondering about other countries in the world?  I know that (if trained in Cuba) a person can practice medicine in most other Latin American countries, but, I am doubting they would be able to practice medicine in the United States or most European countries.  The education, technology..etc., etc., (I believe) is simply too ‘3rd world’ to be able to practice medicine in ‘1st world countries’.  A friend of mine had told me that he knew of ‘many Americans and Canadians” that went to study medicine in Cuba, because it was so much cheaper than, (if they were to study) in Canada or the USA…however, I simply cannot see that they would be qualified or recognized in these (and most other countries)? I believe that my Cuban friend may (simply) be buying the Cuban propaganda…milled out.  Like I said, I know for a fact that Cuban trained Doctors are not recognized in Canada, at all.  And, from what he has told me, it simply does not make sense.  Why would any Canadian or American go to Cuba for medical training, if they would not be recognized/accredited to practice medicine in their own countries?  The only thing I can can think of is if they were always planning on practicing medicine in a Latin American country?  Of course the education is cheaper, but, what would the point be, if you were unable to practice in your own country?  I would appreciate any information available.  Unfortunately. most Cubans still believe (what the government has told them) about Cuba having some of the best health care in the world.  I have been to Cuba, for many, many months…I did need to go to a Cuban hospital…and it was like a nightmare from 1893!  Bugs…feces….no instruments (let alone sterile)...dirt everything…everywhere…a real, utter nightmare.  Whatever hospiatal Micheal Moore used in his documentary were a figment of his imagination, as I have seen the real thing.