Getting money to Cuba from US
Posted: 16 November 2005 05:20 PM   [ Ignore ]
30 to 49 posts
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  36
Joined  2005-03-03

I’m trying to figure out the best way to get money from the US to Cuba.  I’m going to be visiting the island; I’m planning to exchange some of my cash into Euros. 
But for the future I would like to have a friend in Cuba open a bank account there, it seems like for the long-term this would be the best thing to have.  Does anybody have experience with Cuban bank accounts (ie cost, reliability, ability to deposit money in the states) and how they compare with other ways of accessing money there (Thomas Cook traveler’ cheques, Transcard Canada, etc.)?
I assume I’d have to go through Canada…

Posted: 17 November 2005 12:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  992
Joined  2005-11-19

Transcard allows people to send money to Cubans. What they do with the money once they get it is up to them but be sure that the Cuban government keeps very records.

As far as banking in Cuba, I don’t think foreigners can have accounts.

Signature 

Cuba consulting services

Posted: 17 November 2005 04:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
30 to 49 posts
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  36
Joined  2005-03-03

I was actually able to get access to a transcard account when I was last there a few years ago.  Is it possible things have chanced since then?
I was also researching the Banco Metropolitano; it seems from their webpage that they do allow foreigners to have accounts, but I’m still waiting to hear back from them on that.
What about “Duales”?  They originally had an add on this site.  I researched them and supposedly you can send money and Cubans can pick it up.  I talked to someone on the phone from the company and they claimed that the money can even be deliered to their house?? I doubt that is possible, but he told me it could be done.  DO you know anything about this company?  I’m not sure if I’m convinced that they’re reliable…

Posted: 18 November 2005 07:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2005-06-09

Duales is the best way to go for sending money infrequently to Cuba. They can either deposit it to a Transcard or local bank pickup.

If you expect to be sending money regularly, then Transcard Smart Transfer is probably the way to go. Requires some setup. You deposit monery into YOUR ST account, then distribute it to card holders, using the Internet. At the point of transfer is when they charge their fees.

At one time, they issued the actual debit card to foreigners but stopped a few years ago. Card holders, at the time, were granfathered in, so they didn’t lose their cards. Now, they will only issue a Transcard to a Cuban.