Upcoming Trip To Cuba- Help!
Posted: 15 November 2005 09:50 PM   [ Ignore ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2005-11-15

After months of looking foward to this trip, it has finally arrived. I am traveling to cuba on November 21st to participate in Earthwatch’ Crocodiles of Cuba. This means that I am an American leagally traveling to Cuba- and the US government is well aware that I will be there. (I am flying to Havana via Miami).

So, would it be very ill advised to even try to bring cigars back with me? I read an OFAC site,stating that the US threatens a heafty fine if caught. But, since I am just a ‘little, innocent, 17 yr old girl, bring back some cigars for my daddy’ would I still be severely punished? I’m not worried about the cigars being confiscated, I’m just worried about getting in legal trouble. Any words of advice?

please, any info would be appriciated!

Posted: 15 November 2005 10:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  992
Joined  2005-11-19

Whether you are actually a 17 year old girl or someone who just says they are, the advice would be the same, ask five different sources for the right thing to do. Problem is you will get five different answers.

As far as I know, Americans can legally bring back Cuban cigars that are worth less than $100. Keep your receipt and ONLY buy from a licensed Casa Del Habano in Cuba. All other cigars are fakes.

Also, stay on your intinerary. Any “sightseeing” and you are probably in some OFAC violation.

So, the good news is that you will have a great time and no one from the US government will probably care about your trip. Be honest with Customs.

The bad news is you will most likely violate some OFAC rule and US Customs will probably give you dirty looks and a hard time. But, nothing will come of it unless you do something way out of whack.

Do your OFAC homework, listen to your guide in the US and in Cuba.

Enjoy the trip. You will most definitely have the time of your life.

One last piece of advice, DO NOT FALL IN LOVE IN CUBA. It will be one sided. It’ okay to fall in love WITH Cuba but don’t fall in love IN Cuba.

Signature 

Cuba consulting services

Posted: 16 November 2005 03:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2005-06-09

The last round of changes to OFAC regs now state that you cannot bring any cigars back. the $100 exemption on Cuban goods no longer exists.

Posted: 16 November 2005 10:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
30 to 49 posts
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2005-03-16

It is ileegal to bring ANY THING back from Cuba. Technically, according to new OFAC regs it is illegal to evem posess a Cuban cigar ANYWHERE in the world. Ridiculous, but those are the rules

Posted: 17 November 2005 04:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2003-08-14

The comments are on point, it is a violation of OFAC regs to bring anything back from Cuba at this point.  No exceptions and mercy in that quarter is in short supply.  Enjoy the trip, but take them at their word about the ban. 

Posted: 18 November 2005 01:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
30 to 49 posts
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2005-03-16

If you have time to read the voluminous OFAC regulations,incredibly, the penalties for possesion of one Cuban cigar,could potentially, be more severe than posession of one one marijuana cigarette in some US states. Sounds unbelievable…but…those are the rules

Posted: 29 November 2005 06:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
30 to 49 posts
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  36
Joined  2005-03-03

The cigar debate intrigues me…
What about the Mexican authorities?  I remember them asking me “Where are the cigars?” when I came to Cancun from Havana one time.  But it’ cool to have Cuban cigars in Mexico, right?
What about bringing them to the U.S. on the ground?

Posted: 29 November 2005 07:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  992
Joined  2005-11-19

You can buy, own and smoke cigars in every country in the world except for the United States. While we are at it, Americans can travel to any country in the world except for Cuba.

So enjoy your puros habanos in Mexico.

Bringing them into the US, I’m sure that is illegal. Does that mean you will go to jail, probably not but OFAC and customs are on a jihad against anything Cuban.

Signature 

Cuba consulting services

Posted: 29 November 2005 07:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
30 to 49 posts
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  36
Joined  2005-03-03

Publisher:
Thanks for the quick response. 
Would you consider bringing cigars across the boarder by car a dangerous venture?

By the way, you got mentioned in an article about the reaction to the Creighton grant, did you see that?

http://www.cubacentral.com/todaysnewsdetail.cfm?ID=1248

Posted: 09 July 2007 03:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
50+ posts ACTIVE MEMBER
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  86
Joined  2007-07-07

a somewhat dated addendum.  Gov. Schwarzenegger was in Toronto last month (or was it May?).  Local press reported that on the way to teh airport, his car stopped and he went and bought some cuban cigars.  No idea if it really happened but was widely reported in Toronto press and media.