HELP! I NEED A JOB IN CUBA
Posted: 02 March 2005 02:39 PM   [ Ignore ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2005-03-02

I am a 26-year-old British journalist planning to visit Cuba from October 2005 to February 2006 but I really need to find a temporary job there.
Can anyone help? I would be happy doing anything - teaching English, writing for an English language publication/magazine, waitressing etc.
I am degree educated, polite, hard working and a quick learner. If anyone can help please email me at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
Many thanks in advance,
Sureka xx

Posted: 03 March 2005 12:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
10 to 29 posts
RankRank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2005-01-04

Sureka… Finding a job in Cuba is not easy. For you to work in Cuba, you need special permission from the Cuban government, something they only give to you if you have an officially approved job. You could come as a journalist, but again, you need to get a journalist visa from the Cuban government. I would not recommend coming to work on a tourist visa. One suggestion is to contact some of the wire services that are here like BBC, CNN, etc. Are you fluent in Spanish? One idea is working with Radio Havana Cuba’ English broadcast. But you would have to do it on a voluntary basis since they do not pay in hard currency.

Posted: 03 March 2005 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Joined  2005-03-02

Hi Gregory,
Thanks a lot for your message.
No, I’m not fluent in Spanish - I’m just learning at the moment.
Radio Havana sounds interesting - when you say they don’t pay in hard currency, do they meet living costs or provide accomodation? As long as I can cover my costs I’m not really looking to make any extra money.
Please get in touch again.
Sureka x

Posted: 03 March 2005 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
10 to 29 posts
RankRank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2005-01-04

Sureka, I could put you in contact with friends who are volunteering with Radio Havana Cuba. By the way, what is the exact purpose of your stay in Cuba?

Posted: 03 March 2005 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Joined  2005-03-02

Hi Gregory,
That would be great! But I would really need to know whether the Radio Station helps volunteers cover living costs as I can’t afford to stay there for 4 months with no income.
I don’t really have a purpose to my visit other than that I went there last month for 2 weeks and absolutely fell in love with the island, it’ people and its culture.
I’d love to do something useful out there but I’d need to find a way to cover living costs.

Posted: 09 May 2005 12:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2005-05-06

Hi Sureka, I’m also on the trail to work in Cuba, here’ the most helpful site i found about paid work, considering you’ll earn 2wice as much as a Cuban doctor you should be able to survive if you go with cash and a good command of Spanish. I went last year for a month and it was the most fantastic place I’ve been to!!

good luck, Craig

http://www.do-it.org.uk/youthnet/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=455&a=10458

Posted: 11 July 2007 03:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  992
Joined  2005-11-19

Sureka, I know this is an old post but did you make the trip? Any advice for us?

Signature 

Cuba consulting services

‹‹ Cuban Furniture      Job in Cuba ››