Traveling to Varadero
Posted: 05 May 2003 02:23 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  992
Joined  2005-11-19

We invite all subscribers to post any Cuba travel related topics here.

All Subscribers can leave comments, answer questions, offer advice, etc.

Say what’ on your mind or ask questions that our Community can address.

Signature 

Cuba consulting services

Posted: 21 May 2003 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2003-05-20

Can anyone help? I am wondering how accessable Havana is from Varedro? we are staying at beaches varedro in october and desperatly want to go into Havana. will it be possible to get cheap transport? ive heard that native cubans have the right to be picked up on street corners by the bus contuctors if they are seen to be hithchiking, can tourists do this or do we have to pay.
i also want to go into the jungle by foot, how realistic is this, we will be in Varedro for two weeks on a package holiday?

Posted: 10 June 2003 09:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2003-06-10

i went in havane las winter ,and i planing to go this year .
was very good in cuba ,girls ,run ,party

willy

Posted: 05 January 2004 07:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2003-04-18

RETIRING IN SANTIAGO DE CUBA:
    I’m interested in retiring, as a senior citizen, in Santiago. I seek any advice as to where to find the most informative data; i.e., accommodations (monthly), meeting other retirees, prices for foreigners, etc. JJY

Posted: 05 January 2005 10:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2005-01-03

In response to the inquiry regarding transportation to Havana:  The simplest thing is to go to the Viazul bus depot on Calle 36 in Varadero.  Pick up a ticket for 10 dollars and enjoy the comfortable ride there. There are about three trips a day - you can enquire at the office or go to the Viazul website.
One warning: The bus stops half way for a bathroom break and refreshments.  The prices of pop and beer are highly inflated at these places.Wrong change has been given back to inexperienced tourists.
You will need to take a taxi from the Viazul station in Havana to downtown or old Havana.  Depending on the season, expect to pay 3 - 5 dollars.

Posted: 11 July 2007 03:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-11-19

Anyone make the trip recently? What’s the best thing and worst thing about the trip?

Signature 

Cuba consulting services

Posted: 12 July 2007 08:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
50+ posts ACTIVE MEMBER
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  86
Joined  2007-07-07

if anyone ever wants to make an unusual trip from Varadero to Havana try this:
Take the peso bus to Matanzas and go to the Hershey station (not the main train station).  From there the last remaining electric train in Cuba (some say in all of latin America) meanders through the back country to Havana’s Casablanca station via Hershey. The 3-4 hr ride costs 2.40 CUC one way. Don’t expect comfort because the trains are old Spanish trains that were built in 1945 and served in Spain for 50 yrs, before Cuba acquired them.  DEfiniely a trip outside of the box.  Can provide more details in case anyone is interested (Do not confuse this with the tourist train that runs to and around the town of Hershey).

Posted: 12 July 2007 08:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-11-19

Great insight and suggestion. This is the type of content I hope more people can share here.

Thank you for posting.

Signature 

Cuba consulting services

Posted: 24 January 2008 05:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-01-24

Hi, nice suggestions. This would be a great help on my visit to Varadero. Keep up the good post. Thanks.

Posted: 09 April 2008 08:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
30 to 49 posts
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2008-01-24

how’s your visit to varedero? any update?

Signature 

—Check more of my experiences at http://travelbargainhunters.ning.com/

Posted: 02 January 2009 08:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
10 to 29 posts
RankRank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2008-11-18

best thing is without doubts the beach, sand in varadero beach is just incredible and the weather and the transparency of the sea is really unique, the people was great and not much hustling, if i have to mention a negative point i will say there’s not enough choice in restaurants, i was at breezes varadero and it was very good, no complains but we wanted to go to non tipical/ non international food restaurant (japanese, india for example) and we could not find one, apart from that little detail the holiday was lovely and i cant wait to go again

Signature 

The Cuba Experience
All you need to know for your cuba holidays
cuba holidays

Cayo Coco ››