The Irrationality of our Cuba Policy
Posted: 12 November 2005 09:24 PM   [ Ignore ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2005-08-11

This past week, we have witnessed, one more time, the irrationality of the foreign policy of the United States toward the island-nation of Cuba. Like the proverbial ostrich with its head stuck in the sand, our government continues to ignore the opinion and wishes of the overwhelming majority of the world. 182 out of the 191 members of the United Nations approved a resolution presented at the 60th session of the General Assembly titled “Necessity of ending the economic, commercial and financial embargo imposed by the United States of America against Cuba.”

The arrogant John Bolton, who is our ambassador at the U.N., did not even show his face on the floor of the General Assembly. He did not want to be slapped again. Being slapped by the United States Senate, when that body refused to consider his nomination, must have been enough. “No más.”

Is there no end to the arrogance of the United States? Even our close allies, Great Britain, France and Germany voted for the resolution.

The embargo has not brought “democracy” to Cuba. It is time to bury it in a garbage can.

Posted: 13 November 2005 01:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
30 to 49 posts
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2005-03-16

Our policy is way beyond irrational !

Posted: 14 November 2005 12:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2005-04-29

Political security in the United States requires that our leader-politicians have a bug-a-bear that they can point to and genereate fear among the general population. It has been the Nazis, the Communists, the Hippies, the Iraqis,  and the terrorists during my lifetime. Folded into these objects of hate and dread have been the Koreans,Chinese, Russians, Viet Namese, Muslims, most Central Americans, and the Cubans. If we ever give up on having an enemy, what will our politicians do? How will they get re-elected if they have nothing to protect us from? The average man on the street understands violence and potentially violent enemies much better than more abstract ideas like poverty, ill health, no insurance, poor schools, hunger, and issues like that. There is a great deal more pleasure derived from seeing a bunch of homes blown up in some remote place, than seeing a few rebuilt after a hurricane or earthquake. Cuba is conveniently situated to maintain a low level of fear, anxiety, and simmering hatred.  There are several million votes in hating Cuba, and many more in hating the “last bastion of Communism.” If we do not build a bedrock of hate, then all our rhetoric about freedom, democracy, and aid to developing countries won’t ring true to the voters. Short of slavery, capitalism depends on exploitation of the masses as much or more than any other system. Creating fear facilitates that.

Posted: 14 November 2005 01:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
30 to 49 posts
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2005-03-16

EASY BIG GUY!!! Deamagoguery is NEVER good thing . U.S. policy toward Cuba is awful…but let’ not lose perspective!!You are way off the charts

Posted: 15 November 2005 07:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2005-01-17

PAC: Your to kind and civilized.  In my
lifetime I have been led to beleive that.
it was the, gooks, spicks, niggers,frogs,
gestapo, commies, dagos, polacks, chinks.
ragheads, turban heads, that were stealing
my jobs, and thes were supposed to be my
enemies. Oh, one more name. krauthead.

Posted: 20 November 2005 08:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2005-04-29

“Starting on September 11, 2001—with a monstrous helping hand from Osama bin Laden—the Bush administration played the fear card with unbelievable effectiveness. For years, with its companion “war on terror,” it trumped every other card in the American political deck. With an absurd system for color-coding dangers to Americans, the President, Vice President, and the highest officials in this land were able to paint the media a “high” incendiary orange and the Democrats an “elevated” bright yellow, functionally sidelining them.”  from an article by Tom Englehardt—Mako, I don’t think I am a demagogue, but I do believe the many of the current crop of political leaders plus some like my states own Jesse Helms dependon fear and hate mongering to maintain their political positions. I think the same can be said for many Cuban Americans and others who believe themselves to be patriotic Americans and believe the rhetoric about the necessity of the embargo. Having spent a lot of time in Cuba, I, and my students, find that the amount of mis-information on both sides is staggering.

‹‹ Operation Condor      I am cuba ››