Castro Bans Internet Access
Posted: 11 January 2004 09:09 PM   [ Ignore ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2003-07-28

El Jefe—“the chief,” a.k.a. Fidel Castro—has banned average Cuban citizens from using the Internet/World-Wide Web. He imposed an new “law” which took effect yesterday (1/10/2004). Most Cubans have been using dial-up Internet access, in which they connect to the world-wide network via a phone line. At the technical level, it is not difficult to differentiate between voice calls and Internet connection calls. As such, Cuba’ state-owned telephone company Etecsa will monitor phone lines to detect and block Internet connections. The law will only permit mid- and high-level communist party officials (apparachniks) and doctors to browse the web.

Continue reading this very insightful article at netWMD.

Posted: 14 November 2005 06:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2005-11-14

Lennart, can you expand a bit - Cuba is the only free country in Latin America? You’re smoking something from Jamaica rather than from Cuba, I suspect. I am not American, and don’t support all the US strong arm tactics, but Fidel is an insidious dictator who’ long overstayed his welcome. The revolution and the overthrowing of the previous regime was a good thing at the time, but Castro did not heed the change in material conditions. What was good enough 50 years ago, doesn’t hold water anymore. When people are prepared to die, and often do, in their attempts to leave a country, freedom clearly does not exist! As for the deprivation caused to ordinary Cubans as a result of the embargo, I can only laugh. Although limited produce is available, most Cubans cannot afford to buy what they need. Most only survive through the financial contributions of family abroad. Cuba exports cigars, coffe, sugar and now oil. Does the income from all this benifit ordinary citizens - I think not. In addition, they “export” professionals, doctors, for instance, who are beholden to the Cuban government by fierce contracts, most of the money resulting from their work going to the Cuban government, not the professionals themselves. This somehow invokes images of slavery in my mind.

Posted: 26 February 2006 05:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2006-02-26

This is my first visit here and I have a lot of questions about many other aspects of Cuba.  But I must point out that I-netwmd comment ... “The law will only permit mid- and high-level communist party officials (apparachniks) and doctors to browse the web” ... leads me to believe that the C. government is frequenting the forums and yes, they are probably trying to sugar coat the truth that exists within the country.  Seeing that a Cuban who is on the forum (internet) is breaking the law ... Anyone who openly admits they are from Cuba ... :-0 ...  Things that make you go hummmhhhh.