BOXERS and BALLERINAS - at the Havana Film Fest
Posted: 28 November 2004 10:33 PM   [ Ignore ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2004-11-28

ONE.jpg

We would like to invite everyone to join us for the premiere of “Boxers and Ballerinas” this Decemeber at the Havana Film Festival.  The new documentary about four young Cubans, two living on the island and two living in Miami, will be screening at Cine 23 y 12 at 7pm on December 8th. 

check out [url=http://www.boxersandballerinas.com]http://www.boxersandballerinas.com[/url]

please do not hesitate to ask me any questions about the film or screening…

thanks,
mike

Posted: 30 November 2004 07:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2004-11-30

Well, got so excited about it I did an internet search…some questions are in the information I posted at http://havanajournal.com/forum/threads/2704_0_15_0_C/

Couldn’t find my way back here at first.  Sorry Mike.  But could you answer questions 3,4,5,6,8,9 and maybe 10 a bit more? 

Gracius Amigo,
ZunZun

Posted: 02 December 2004 02:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Joined  2004-11-28

Hey ZunZun, thanks for all your interest!  its totally cool!
Only one screening for the time being…  if it is well received then we’ll push for more.  Also——-  I’m not totally sure yet, but there is a chance it will screen on TV in Cuba, which would be really neat.  We, of course, would love to screen it as many places and as many times as we can…  if the demand is there, and permission, B&B will definitely be showing.
Filmming in Cuba was amazing.  It is such a photogenic place that it’ nearly impossible not to get beautiful imagery.  It’ funny we had a sort of rule of thumb that we would NOT film anything that is typical nostalgic cuba - we didn’t want to be cliched - we even went so far as to say, “no filmming old 50s cars…”  brit and i put these artistic restrictions on ourselves, mostly in jest, but really for the purpose of showing a different side of Cuba, something unique and new and rarely portrayed on film.
We were not really that limited in what we could film.  We did everything very legally, and very in sync with the officials there.  The people at INDER were wonderful to us.  We did have a press atache with us at all times making sure we didn’t film anything too heavy, but in general it went really smoothly.  Of course there were a couple instances—- for example, we couldn’t film anything that had to do with the military.  And the boyfriend of the Cuban ballerina was in the service at the time, and we thought it would be neat to film her when she visited him, but that we weren’t allowed to do. 

The link for the festival is:  http://www.habanafilmfestival.com/noticias/index_noticias_amplia.php3?ord=1032

Everyone, both tourists and Cubans will have access to the movie screening.  It’ open to all.  I don’t know how much it costs to get in.  I can’t imagine it costs too much.  I went to see a film in the festival last year and i think it cost a dollar or two.  I can’t remember though.

10.  This is the ultimate question.  We made this movie because we are young and artists and dreamers and we want to do great things in life, and important things, and artistic beautiful things, that add interesting new dialogue to the world, that challenges the way people think, that helps people dream, we want to make life feel a little more magical.  Cuba is a beautiful beautiful often misunderstood place.  Its a place most Americans cannot even go to.  We were lucky because we’re American journalists (i work for national geographic) and therefore can get licenses to travel there, but in general Americans cannot go.  People are always fascinated by that which they cannot touch.  And something so close.  We also wanted to make the film for both Cubans and Cuban-Americans to see life on the other side, the good things, the bad things, to dispel some of the mystery that the grass is always greener on the other side.  the truth is that there are good and bads everywhere, and its all relative and all open to different perspectives.  Also, the film deals with tons of broader issues important to the world right now, like freedom and terrorism and war.  i think its crazy what we’re doing in the middleEast, and it is wrong.  and whether its just rhetoric or not, we should recognize that the strong words our govt uses against cuba should be thought over, considered, pondered, discussed… 

i don’t know.  there are a million reasons to make this movie.

really, we made it because it spoke to us.

Posted: 02 December 2004 10:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2004-11-30

Thank you so much for answering my questions.  If there is one thing that I do while on vacation in Cuba, it will be to see this movie.  Not just because it sounds so entertaining; but because I want to acknowledge the country of Cuba for two things:

1- Allowing the film to be made in the first place

and

2- Premiering the film in the capitol city of their own country

Such great strides. 

Aplauso Cuba!

Aplauso Mike and your team for being a vehicle for this growth.

Posted: 10 March 2005 09:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Joined  2005-02-25

Beautiful.  Hey, how can I get a copy of this beautiful-seeming documentary?  I wrote a book on Cuba and anything which is Cuban-related is of great interest to me.

Jorge Reyes
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Posted: 10 July 2007 07:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  992
Joined  2005-11-19

I know this is an old post but do you have any more information to offer?

Signature 

Cuba consulting services