Does Castro pay his bills?
Posted: 13 May 2003 03:40 PM   [ Ignore ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2003-04-30

I just returned from Cuba last weekend and my source said that, other than food and meds as part of the new US laws, Cuba is having a hard time paying off their bills.  My report says that payment bogs down about 75%-80%, and stops, or severely slows.  Add to that you must continue paying office rent to the government and if you leave the country, your debt is erased.  Has anyone else doing business there had similar experiences?

Regards E. W. Bob Boulware, P.E.

Posted: 08 December 2003 01:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2003-12-08

No, but I think you should pay whatever you owe regardless of the debt being erased.
It’ down right decency to pay your debts, and getting out of them just exposes the capitalist within.
What the hell were you doing in Cuba anyway? Trying to exploit the nation?
Correct me if I misunderstood your meaning, but it seems to me like you don’t care at all about the Cuban economy, just the fact that you don’t have to pay your debt now that you are gone.
What kind of civilised person do you think you are?

Posted: 09 December 2003 12:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2003-04-30

Thank you for your reply

As to why I was in Cuba:  I was part of a humanitarian visit on behalf of a local organization called Ambassadors for Children.  We brought over $10,000 in meds plus a few doctors who did some corrective operations on some kids while there on a long weekend.  We visited the Che Guavara school for Young Pioneers , which was most impressive….something the US should consider for non college bound students.

As an engineer. I noted the construction going on, mostly in Havana, and the US made air conditioning equipment that was common there.  I inquired to a friend of mine ( a Cuban) how a person could do business in Cuba, assuming the embargo eventually gets lifted or he can align myself with an offshore company who can legally do business in Cuba.  It was my Cuban friend who told me that Castro has a habit of not completely paying his bills to foreign companies….My report says that payment bogs down about 75%-80%, and stops, or severely slows. Add to that you must continue paying office rent to the government and if you leave the country, then they do not pay the rest of your bill at all.

My note was to inquire if this was or was not the general approach to the Cuban way of doing business, or just an isolated incidence.  I have seen similar policy in an aborted concept of doing business in Russia, so thought I would ask before spending a lot of energy in a bad idea.

Would appreciate your thoughts.  I’m really not just trying to exploit the masses as you seem to imply.

Best regards

B..

Posted: 10 July 2007 06:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  992
Joined  2005-11-19

Any updates about the original post?

Signature 

Cuba consulting services