Need advise on Fiance Visa from Cuba
Posted: 27 April 2009 01:35 PM   [ Ignore ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-04-27

I’m new here, so bare with me, but this looks like a great place to get some first hand helpful information. I’m an American man thinking about marrying a Cuban woman. I know all the odds of things going bad and all that so I’m not looking for advice in that area. It’s the other areas I need help. This is my understanding of the whole process. I am having a lawyer apply for her to get a Fiance visa. This could take 3-5 months in the states and another 4-5 months at the US embassy in Cuba. They will then call her to come in to an interview, if she passes, she is given the visa to enter the US. Then we have 90 days to marry. Now on her end, what does she need to do to exit Cuba? Can she get a international passport and that would get her from Cuba to Mexico to US? The only thing the Fiance Visa does is allow her to enter the US. Or is a marriage in Cuba the only way she can exit? I heard that is a pain and another big expense that I would rather not get into. On top of all this, will we be able to visit Cuba after all is said and done? Thanks in advance for any help!

[ Edited: 27 April 2009 01:39 PM by publisher ]

Posted: 01 May 2009 01:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2007-05-06

Here’s what I know (from personal experience):

What she needs to exit from cuba is (roughly in order)
1.  An invitation to visit your country (ie a letter sent from you to her)
2.  A passport - she can obtain this by simply purchasing one (about $200 I think)
3.  A tourist (fiance) visa from your embassy
4.  A “carta blanca” - i.e. permission to exit the country.  This is the tricky bit.  It doesn’t cost much, but can take a long time to get or may be refused for any number of reasons, e.g. if she is deemed to work in an important job.  Any person involved in the police/military will not be given a carta blanca, to my knowledge.
5.  A plane ticket

The carta blanca is only valid for a certain period of time, so must be co-ordinated with the tourist visa and plane ticket.

What do you need to go and get married in cuba?
1.  An original letter of freedom from a legal entitiy in your country, along with an official spanish translation
2.  An original birth certificate, along with an official spanish translation

Getting married in cuba is not difficult or expensive - the process is performed in the local legal office and costs a few hundred pesos (dollars), from memory.  If you are frustrated in your attempts to get her into your country (particularly in obtaining a tourist or fiance visa) then getting married in cuba may help.

Good luck

Posted: 19 May 2009 01:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-04-30
Greg - 27 April 2009 01:35 PM

I’m new here, so bare with me, but this looks like a great place to get some first hand helpful information. I’m an American man thinking about marrying a Cuban woman. I know all the odds of things going bad and all that so I’m not looking for advice in that area. It’s the other areas I need help. This is my understanding of the whole process. I am having a lawyer apply for her to get a Fiance visa. This could take 3-5 months in the states and another 4-5 months at the US embassy in Cuba. They will then call her to come in to an interview, if she passes, she is given the visa to enter the US. Then we have 90 days to marry. Now on her end, what does she need to do to exit Cuba? Can she get a international passport and that would get her from Cuba to Mexico to US? The only thing the Fiance Visa does is allow her to enter the US. Or is a marriage in Cuba the only way she can exit? I heard that is a pain and another big expense that I would rather not get into. On top of all this, will we be able to visit Cuba after all is said and done? Thanks in advance for any help!

I married a Cuban man with fiance visa and everyting is just fine.  Your fiance will come directly from Cuba, not Maxico.  Anything worth having at all is worth fighting and waiting for. Shoud you need specifics on how the process works in more detail you can email me at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
Heather

Posted: 03 June 2009 08:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2009-06-03

so nice to hear personal experiences: such as anything worth having at all is worth fighting and waiting for…. thanks heather!