How to help political prisoner in Cuba?
Posted: 03 April 2009 07:03 PM   [ Ignore ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-04-03

I’m looking for some help, direction, resources…to help a friend in Cuba. I travelled there in 2000 when I met Amalay. We have kept in touch through letters and lately, through email. She is a young single mother who lives in a shack on a rooftop and takes care of her young son, Roinet, who has a heart condition. She is very poor and I help her in any way that I can. She has never asked for money, only freedom.

She has recently informed me that a family member is being held as a political prisoner. I don’t know the details yet and am waiting for some further info from her. She asked if I could help them. She thinks there is some U.S. agency that will allow Americans to sponsor political prisoners, so they may be released to the States. That doesn’t sound right to me, so I’m doubtful that she has accurate information. No surprise there.

I’m somewhat aware of the political prisoner situation there and have found lots of web sources with news on the prisoners, some petitions for prisoner release, etc. I’m learning through this process about everything there. I was only there a short time on an educational trip in 2000.

But is there anything I can do to help her? Is she misinformed about this US agency?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

[ Edited: 04 April 2009 09:06 AM by publisher ]

Posted: 04 April 2009 09:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  992
Joined  2005-11-19

Your intentions are good but you are setting yourself up for disappointment. If the US Government can’t motivate Raul to release political prisoners then you certainly cannot. You can send money but you know what you are going to get for that good deed? Less money.

Give it a try and see if you can help out but don’t get emotional and loose your mind. It’s a sad situation and your time and money isn’t going to make it any better.

Signature 

Cuba consulting services

Posted: 04 April 2009 01:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-04-03

Thanks for your reply. It sounds like you have maybe had enough of the Cuban situation yourself. However, I just want to say that I do not help my friend for my own personal benefit or gain. I am also not attempting to soley pursuade the Cuban govt to release political prisoners. I am merely asking for some information on what I can do to help my friends situation. I am emotional, I am a human being. I do this because it is the humanitarian thing to do. If everyone refused to get involved or get emotional, there would be no charitable organizations, no relief workers, church groups, etc. aiding Cuban families. My time and money has already helped my friend feed her son. Now, I hope to help in other ways.