Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  992
Joined  2005-11-19

New Audiences and Absolutely Live present

Juan de Marcos &  the Afro-Cuban All Stars

Saturday March 28,2009 at 8pm

Town Hall 123 West 43 Street New York City

Tickets are $60,$50,$35, reserved seating and are available now online at http://Ticketmaster.com or by calling 212-307-4100. Tickets go on sale at the Town Hall Box Office (212-840-2824) stating March 6th.

Prepare for a night of hot Cuban rhythms!  Juan de Marcos & the Afro-Cuban All Stars brilliantly capture the fiery spirit of Cuba’s popular music. Their electrifying performances pay tribute to the wealth, diversity and vitality of Cuban music, marrying the past and present with the grandeur and polish of the world’s greatest orchestras. 

Led by Juan de Marcos González, the gifted visionary behind the Buena Vista Social Club, the 15 piece ensemble includes the best of three different generations of outstanding Cuban musicians and singers.

Featuring classic son montuno and danzon, Afro-Cuban jazz, swinging big band guajira, the best of the Timba, bolero and more, the ensemble hits the stage with a potent combination of driving percussion, a powerhouse horn section, piano and incomparable vocals.

Wherever they play, from the first note to the final huge chord of their encore, Juan de Marcos & the Afro-Cuban All Stars deliver dazzling virtuosity and a sizzling groove.

[ Edited: 27 February 2011 08:52 PM by publisher ]
 Signature 

Cuba consulting services

Posted: 27 February 2009 07:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
30 to 49 posts
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  36
Joined  2005-03-03

hey are they touring?
One of my favorite guys, Juan De Marcos.  Ran into him at the Havana Libre, he invited me to a practice session at EGREM studios, truly a thrill for me.  THEN he invited me to a family members wedding!!??
Truly a good guy.
I’d love to see his band play, let me know if you can figure out where they’ll be playing, i was unable to find out anything.

Posted: 28 February 2009 12:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2009-02-28

Juan is my uncle, i am part of the original Villamils who are Los Munequitos de matanza and everyone one of the all stars are fam by blood or marraige.Thank u for supporting us

Signature 

Withoutacountry..Sin pais

Posted: 28 February 2009 03:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
30 to 49 posts
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-03-03

wow, bueno mi amigo para mi juan de marcos es lo maximo, siempre 100% respeto pa el y todos los suyos, i will never forget going to a wedding—i think it was his sobrina?—at club chevere…estaba pensando yo en este momento “ESTO es un cubano de verdad”...tambien me fui a un ensayo del grupo y juan tenia que salir corriendo porque pienso que su mama tenia un infarto…ella esta viva todavia?  bendiciones a toda la familia.

Posted: 28 February 2009 06:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Joined  2009-02-28

Title: Juan de Marcos & the Afro-Cuban All Stars to perform in New York
City
Message:wow, bueno mi amigo para mi juan de marcos es lo maximo, siempre
100% respeto pa el y todos los suyos, i will never forget going to a
wedding—i think it was his sobrina?—at club chevere…estaba pensando yo
en este momento “ESTO es un cubano de verdad”...tambien me fui a un
ensayo del grupo y juan tenia que salir corriendo porque pienso que su mama
tenia un infarto…ella esta viva todavia? bendiciones a toda la familia.

1. Sierra madre
2 buena Vista
3 No my aunt is deceased

gracias

Signature 

Posted: 28 February 2009 07:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
30 to 49 posts
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-03-03

ok but I am not sure what you were saying with “Sierra Madre” and Buena Vista.  I know that Juan was involved with the Buena Vista Social Club, but I am not sure if thats what you meant, or if you were saying something else.

Posted: 01 March 2009 03:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Joined  2009-02-28

OK Joven LOL Senor antes que Juan fue con Buena vista el fue con uno grupo que se llama Sierra Madre..  yo soy escuela viejo..LOL (i am ole school and perhaps you are a lot younger than i am. Pero, Juan y yo son nueve anos different de anos. Cumpli anos de El is 1954 yo creas y mi cumpli anos es 1946..El es el hermano de mi mama.
I can tell u about anything relative to Cuba from back then to now. and back as far ar the fight revolution that we had to try to kick Spain to the curb.in 1898 that took my grandfather… Thank u my brother from keeping it real and loving our pais!!

Hermano..i am going to post some things here that many will not agree with and i hope that we all can have a different opinion and still be civil. you will find out that i am very much enamorado de Cuba and all that it is..even as it is now pro and con. i get to travel back a lot because of what i do now so i stay in touch with the real people even though i am from matanza…home of some of the best Congueros in Cuba…

Siempre tu amiga

Signature 

Posted: 01 March 2009 03:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
30 to 49 posts
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-03-03

Todo muy bien, la verdad es que sabia eso pero no te entendi la primera vez pero ahora si, todo muy bien, parece que todos los musicos que estan tocando ahora con Afro Cuban All Stars viven aqui en los estados unidos, pero quienes son, tocaron antes con juan tambien seguro, mira queria saber si van a pasar por california porque quisiera ver un concierto o algo.  Mucha gracia por la informacion y tambien te queria preguntar si otros grupos como los munequitos van a tocar por ahi en california, hace rato que no veo ninguna musica cubana y la extrano mucho lol.

Posted: 01 March 2009 11:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Joined  2009-02-28

Gracias Si my family does come to cali often and perform..i will ask someone if there is a trip on thier schedule… We have our Jefe living in Cali (one of the founders) and another fam member Francisco Aquabella H20 who teaches there. I also fly there because i have a daughter in the LA area y mi me gustas mucho

Signature 

Posted: 02 March 2009 01:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
30 to 49 posts
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-03-03

Que loco!
I took a Afro-Cuban drumming class in college from Francisco Aguabella!
Sigo siendo fanatico de esta musica…keep me posted, I would love to catch a concert in Northern California (San Francisco area), and honestly tengo muchisimas ganas do tocar de verdad…tengo formacion de bateria (drum set no?) y no soy como maestro pero conozco bastante y quiero seguir tocando, es que me gusta la musica pero sinceramente pienso que es una cosa que me hace falta hacer para mi espiritu…bueno tira pa tras cuando tienes un chance

Posted: 02 March 2009 09:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Joined  2009-02-28

si hombre;

El es uno otro famila por sangre..Mira please do not be shocked that we met like this..este mundo is small and we are just a bit of mess..in it..lol..Like i said i believe in the santeria and yoruba tradicione and anything es possible. i grew up in Fla where many many afro cubans and just ordinary cubans live and living in Vegas has kept me close to the few hundreds of exiles like myself who are here. My spanish is ok i can read write and compredes todo..As u asked i will keep u posted and since we are close Cali Las vegas there should be nothing that keeps us from connecting one day/
Cali has a lot of festivals esp in the summer como esto cada ano ..i play fierce cunga and bongo and bata because it was a requirement in the fam..plus i am the only daughter
there will be something to do soon trust me..

M

http://cubanfestival.dimelolife.com/

http://www.jazzcuba.com/
con chocho valdes   allready happened

Signature 

Posted: 04 April 2009 12:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
30 to 49 posts
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-03-03

Crossing Borders with the Afro-Cuban All-Stars
Their music and influence cannot be stopped
By Larry Blumenfeld
published: March 25, 2009
Courtesy the Afro-Cuban All-Stars
The Afro-Cuban All-Stars, promoting (and embodying) free tradeWhen Juan de Marcos González brings his 14-piece Afro-Cuban All-Stars to Town Hall on March 28, they’ll include residents of eight countries, from Mexico to Sweden, Spain to the United States. But none from Cuba. No musician living there (and planning to return) has played here since December 2003, when pianist Chucho Valdés headlined the Village Vanguard. After that, the Bush administration effectively shut down all U.S.-Cuba cultural exchanges.

González has contributed mightily to that cut-short exchange. Best known as the architect of the Buena Vista Social Club, he assembled that band with musicians drawn from the first edition of his All-Stars. (Their debut CD, A Toda Cuba Le Gusta, released simultaneously with Buena Vista’s, was the better recording.) But he soon went his own way, turning down offers for more retro-styled recordings, or what he called “la onda de los viejitos” (“the fad of the old-timers”). He’s been cleverly crossing stylistic boundaries with his latest batch of All-Stars ever since, blending traditional and contemporary Cuban sounds. His 40-city tour is equally resourceful in terms of border crossings: The band’s members, all with roots in Cuba, have passports in other nations, thus sidestepping the rules that exclude Cuban musicians.

“This band is bringing a message,” he says. “Cuba is here, independent of any politician or policy. Our music and our influence cannot be stopped. And it’s time for the policy to catch up with the reality.”

Such change may be afoot. Tucked into the recently approved Omnibus Appropriations Bill, despite vociferous objection by such hard-liners as New Jersey Senator Bob Menendez, are provisions that liberalize travel for Americans to visit relatives in Cuba. However, the bill does so essentially by defunding the Treasury Department agencies that police such activity, which is different from legal sanction—besides, it expires in six months.

“But Mr. Obama is a smart guy,” González adds. “He’s going to open the doors wider, at least to cultural exchange.”

To that end, the President’s inbox holds the urging of more than a thousand noted artists, educators, and cultural leaders via signatures on a letter calling for, among other measures, the elimination of restrictions that prevent Americans from traveling to Cuba, and Cuban artists from performing in the United States. (See it at cubaresearch.info/cubaletter2009.) “I shouldn’t have to ask permission of my government to travel anywhere,” says Louis Head, co-founder of the U.S.-Cuba Cultural Exchange, which orchestrated the letter campaign. “Historically, cultural expression in the U.S. and Cuba are joined at the hip, and it’s time to respect that vital connection.”

“The letter is very important,” Grammy-winning pianist Arturo O’Farrill told Amy Goodman of Democracy Now! “For us to be denied access to this source of cultural sustenance is absolutely insane.”

The “Freedom to Travel to Cuba Act” (H.R. 874 in the House and S. 428 in the Senate), a more effective and lasting option than the Omnibus add-on, is attracting a growing list of co-sponsors and, if passed, would permit all U.S. citizens unrestricted travel rights. That should allow, for instance, O’Farrill to realize his dream of bringing his Afro-Latin Orchestra to Cuba to perform the music composed by his father, Chico, in the home Chico left in 1958, for good.

Still, we need the door to swing open both ways, so that, as Alicia Alonso, director of the Ballet Nacional de Cuba, wrote in a 2007 open letter to American artists, “a song, a book, a scientific study, or a choreographic work are not considered, in an irrational way, a crime.” González envisions bringing a 30-piece band to the U.S., adding such musicians as pianist David Alfaro, who lives in Cuba. No one should stop him.

Juan de Marcos González and the Afro-Cuban All-Stars play Town Hall March 28