Hummm
Posted: 06 February 2009 03:21 AM   [ Ignore ]
10 to 29 posts
RankRank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2008-11-12

Just a quick post here for other Cuba experts…... Have you ever noticed how often US made maps seem to reduce the size of Cuba? You think I am nuts?  Nah, it is not always, just some of the time. Let me give you an example IF you happen to have the map desktop on a thinkpad,  you’ll notice tiny Cuba.

For those of you who do not have thinkpads you can see it here:
ThinkAmericasMap-1.jpg

Yet I should point out that the example is small.. and the spot to the East is not part of Cuba it is supposed to be Haiti and the Dominican Republic….. Now you can easily see what I am talking about remembering that the distance between Chicago and New York City is 719 miles and the length of Cuba is 766 miles.

Signature 

My Cuba books are found here Havana: My Kind of Town and Nature’s Ancient Religion

Posted: 06 February 2009 07:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  992
Joined  2005-11-19

I don’t even see Puerto Rico.

Signature 

Cuba consulting services

Posted: 06 February 2009 03:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
10 to 29 posts
RankRank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2008-11-12

Is that the country J LO went to?  ROFL…. Yep ghastly… Maybe this explains why 65% of Americans can’t find England on a map….. NAH… but it does give them an excuse!

Signature 

My Cuba books are found here Havana: My Kind of Town and Nature’s Ancient Religion

Posted: 25 February 2009 08:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2007-05-06

Depending on the “projection”, ie the way a curved surface is represented on a flat plane, countries look bigger or smaller.  Generally the projection used in maps exaggerates the size of countries nearer the poles, to the detriment of countries nearer the equator.  Nonetheless, there may be a bit of “artistic licence” involved in the thinkpad map.