1 of 3
Canada-Cuba Marriages - Documentary
Posted: 22 January 2009 01:55 PM   [ Ignore ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-01-22

Hi,

I am a documentary producer in Canada, looking for any woman who has married a Cuban man, or is in the process of marrying a Cuban man. I don’t want to focus on the negative, would like all points of view. For instance, someone with a successful marriage, someone who is in the process of bringing over their husband. I know it can get costly to sponsor someone… an honorarium will be provided.

If you are interested, please let me know how I can get in touch with you. THANKS.

Angele

Posted: 22 January 2009 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  992
Joined  2005-11-19

Thanks for posting. I will keep this in mind.

I have heard that this forum is good for this subject http://cubaamor.com/cubaforums/

Good luck.

Signature 

Cuba consulting services

Posted: 24 January 2009 10:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2009-01-24

What exactly are you looking for?  If you want to take it right to the beginning….I am going down next month to get engaged.  After that we are planning a November or February 2010 wedding.  I am a native Canadian (divorced).  My future husband is a native Cuban and also divorced.

Thanks

Posted: 26 January 2009 02:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2009-01-26

What exactly is the process for getting engaged? Do you need to register or anything like that?

Posted: 27 January 2009 11:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-01-22

Thanks for getting back to me - would love to follow someone thru the process and tell the whole story from the woman’s point of view. And who doesn’t like wedding footage?

It would also be great to talk to a Canadian who is currently married to a Cuban guy in order to provide a retrospective. Awesome Stuff, thanks. 

cool smile

Posted: 27 January 2009 11:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Joined  2009-01-26

I am going back down to see my girl friend and we would of course like to spend more quality time with each other. I understand that the one way to do that is to get engaged, which would kill 2 birds with one stone anyway. I am wondering if this is done simply by proposing to her, or if we also have to register with the authorities?

Posted: 02 February 2009 07:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2009-02-02

I’m going thru it right now.. married in Nov… and I can tell you it’s really hard to have distance love… paperwork… schedule visits not too far apart… what exactly are you looking for and for whom are you doing this?

Posted: 02 February 2009 07:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Joined  2009-02-02

BTW I’m a woman married to a Cuban man.

Posted: 02 February 2009 07:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Joined  2009-01-26

Hi:

Thanks for the reply!!! I am headed back down in March to spend some time with her, meet her familia this time, etc. Both of us would really like to be with each other for full days without having to worry about the authorities thinking its some other arrangement besides simple love.  I have been told that getting engaged would help with this. Is there paperwork to be filled out for this as well, or is that just for marraige?

I agree with the scheduling visits…it is a bit tough.

Posted: 02 February 2009 07:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Joined  2009-01-26

Thats fine. Did you two get engaged first? If so, was there any paperwork to fill out for that, or is it different if the one doing the proposing is non-cubana?

Posted: 02 February 2009 07:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Joined  2009-02-02

oh and you can reach me at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Posted: 02 February 2009 07:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Joined  2009-02-02

Hey Revans.. I went there for 2 months.. quit my job and left.. I’m in Montreal, Canada. We got to know each other better… don’t knw about engagement paperwork.. no I don’t think so should be just like a party or something like that… but that’s my personal opinion nothing really researched on this…  I’m now working again, we got married and I can explain that part with the paperwork…

I just find it really cruel that they won’t allow for visit visas for Cubans.. any other country yes. (got friends and peopel I know from haiti, france etc… they all got visit visas to see their spouse while waiting for immigration.. but not for cubans.. I guess coz they can ask for refugee status but still… it’s dam cruel… phone bills are insane… trips and arrangements to take time off work too.. without counting distance relationship and issues it can bring…)...

Not easy… the only good side is that I’m losing weight!!!  wink and my creditors are happy.

Posted: 09 February 2009 11:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Joined  2009-01-24

How was the whole process of getting married?  How long have the two of you been dating?  Is this your first marriage(s)?  Sorry for all of the questions but I am getting engaged next week and I would love some insight especially after only hearing the negatives about this.

Posted: 13 February 2009 09:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2009-02-13

I have been married to a cuban Girl since july 2008 $$ I am gathering infomation is alot of work get a lawyer save email pictues boarding passes ect., It has hit me $$$ be prepared these chicas can ruin you , be careful.
she is not in canada yet but working on it.

Posted: 24 April 2009 08:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
10 to 29 posts
RankRank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2008-03-17

I am a Canadian woman in the process of simply trying to obtain the correct information and required process in obtaining my documents, so that they are ‘marriage ready’, for my marriage ceremony in Havana.  I have been trying to contact anyone of the 3 offices in Canada (Cuban Consulates and Embassy) for over 1 month, and have never had them pick up their phone, or return one of my dozens of messages?!  I have yet to receive clear, concise and consistent information to exactly what is required.  I will get information from ‘here’ and they tell me ‘this’, and then, info, from another source, and they tell me ‘that’?  It’s freekin crazy.  This is not rocket science my people!  I met my fiance in 2008, when I was in Havana for 10 weeks.  We’ve kept in touch, via the occasional email…that is an entirely different documentary (access to the ‘outside world”).  If your fiance doesn’t have internet access through work, it is more than a challenge.  Mine does, he works at a hospital, but, always has 15 people glaring at him, waiting for their turn.  I just returned from another 10 weeks in Havana and have been trying to find out how to get my documents ready for the Cuban officials to marry us.  We went to the Consoltoria Juridica in Havana and had a ‘Matrimonio por poder’ issued to his mother.  Which means, that she, (or whomever you issue the document to), is able to ‘stand in’ for you to get married.  We choose this as an option, because I don’t know when I will be able to return to Havana ($$$???), and I want the Sponsorship process to begin as soon as possible.  I would be very interested in making contact with you, as I (too) am very interested in this seeming phenomenon…from a cultural/anthropological/psychological standpoint.  I believe there is a ‘certain’ type of woman, who is strong enough-tenacious enough-and hard headed enough to jump through all of the bureaucratic and financial hoops.  No quiet wallflowers in this group of women.  And why is it, that the vast majority of women marrying Cuban men, seem to be so much younger than their fiances/husbands?  Just curious.  And don’t even get me started on the bizarre responses you get from other people, when you tell them you are marrying a Cuban.  It may not be spoken, but, ‘the look’ is always very clear—-“Don’t you realize you are being used?—-He doesn’t really love you!”  Thanks for your support and congratulations…really.  Anyways, I’d love to (either) be involved in your film, or be kept abreast of where you are at.

Posted: 24 April 2009 09:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
less than 10 posts
Rank
Joined  2009-01-24

Shauna, the process to marry a Cuban simply sucks!!  Ok, here is what you need…..first of all is this your and his first marriage because if it is it is so much easier.
If this is your first marriage, then you need to take your birth certificate to any lawyer and have them certify a photocopy of it.  Then you take that copy to the Cuban Embassy in Canada.  If in Toronto it is in Etobicoke.  They can authenticate it and translate this into Spanish.  If you are divorced you need your birth certificate, divorce decry and a letter stating that you are still single.  All of these needs to follow the same process.  It costs for all of the forms to be done about $200-$800 CDN depending on the forms.  After that the Embassy will give you copies of the translated and certified documents.

Now that you think the hell is over….it starts….you go to Cuba to get married.  It takes at least 3 days to apply for a marriage certificate.  My husband and I just had a simple wedding at the lawyers office honestly because of all of this BS that the governments do.  The lawyer will take your forms and your finance Cuban card and divorce certificates and apply for the license.  In 3 days you can then be married.  Please keep in mind that to pay the lawyer, have them get the documents certified etc. is $700-$900 CUC…....what a rip off!!!!  Your wedding certificate takes about 3 weeks to get processed and sent to you in Cuba.

Now that you are married you enter the hell that I am in by trying to get your husband to Canada…...just so you know it takes about 1-3 months to get the documents that you need ready and then it is 5-10 months to bring your spouse to Canada.  Both Governments deserve their heads a shake.  They make nothing easy and complicate the matter so much that you get frustrated at every turn.  On top of that you have to deal with the negative feedback from friends, family and everyone you meet.  “You married a Cuban?  Are you crazy?”  Thanks for the love and support!!! 

I hope that this heps you.

1 of 3