Havana Cuba Business Travel Culture and Politics

Havana Cuba News

Cuba Culture News

Posted March 28, 2006 by publisher in Cuban Healthcare

Email this article | Print this article | Search Havana Journal        

Prensa Latina

The operation on 16 patients in Cuba confirmed the validity of a modern surgical technique on refractory epilepsy, a therapeutic alternative first applied four years ago.

The method is used in several countries, but is limited in Third World nations due to its high cost, however, it is an opportunity in Cuba thanks to the reach of the National Health System.

The patients, for whom previous treatments had shown no results, have now responded favorably after the operation, which eliminated or considerably reduced the frequent crises from the neurological disease.

According to Dr Lilia Morales, coordinator of the project in the International Center of Neurological Restoration, they count on the modern technology for diagnosis and surgery.

Epilepsy currently affects one percent of the world and initial treatment allows control of 50 to 80 percent of crisis, with the other 20 percent considered medically unassisted and candidates for surgery.

Find epilepsy on Amazon

Would you like to add more information?

Only members can add more information. Please register or log in

  • Advertise at Havana Journal Inc
We recommend this AirBnB Food and Drink Experience... Cuban flavors: Food, Rum and Cigars
Images of Cuba
Powder blue American classic car
Follow Havana Journal
SUBSCRIBE to our Cuba Watch newsletter
LIKE us on Facebook

FOLLOW us on Twitter

CONNECT with us on Linked In

Section Archive
Havana Journal, Inc. BBB Business Review

Member of the Association for the Study of the Cuban Economy